SSBrewtech RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
SS Brewtech has recently released their rims add on to their new electric homebrewing line. Has anyone tried one of these out yet? Its incredible how there are no reviews and not much talk overall in regard to their homebrewing electric line.

SS Brewtech has recently released their rims add on to their new electric homebrewing line. Has anyone tried one of these out yet? Its incredible how there are no reviews and not much talk overall in regard to their homebrewing electric line.
I was also surprised nobody seemed to care at all about it lol. Looked pretty good to me. Seems the majority of brewers are using Herms systems and the rims user's prefer to build there own. Additionally SS brew tech stuff isn't nearly as popular anymore with all the new spike stuff overshadowing it. Cheers

Last edited:
Maybe no units have been actually delivered yet?

They have been selling the e kettles since february or march along with their 2v and 3v controllers. The rims unit was available to buy on their site as of about 3 weeks ago. Im sure they have sold atleast 100 units. There is an unboxing video of the 1v system on youtube that someone uploaded about a month ago:

Its so odd that people are quiet about it. Maybe because its fairly new and expensive?

At the price point it's not much better than a normal rims tube at an increase in cost... functionally. It looks nice, but I wouldn't really consider buying one over a rims tube unless I can find out more details on how much the element cost. I also can't seem to find a shot of the RTD probe placement, if it's replaceable or not.

It kind of sounds like it's "in the base"... and if it's all in one and a replacement is another few hundred bucks that's probably out of the question for most homebrewers.

I like the idea of it... the element is nice, but what happens when i burn that thing out by accident. Prob better suited to the prof setups, i'll stick to my $20-30 element replacement cost.

I'm holding out to see what the single vessel brewing system looks like. I've considered their eBIAB rig too. Everything is on hold for me until we get moved into our new house. Once I solidify my brewing space and explore options for 240 power, I'll be able to move forward.

At the price point it's not much better than a normal rims tube at an increase in cost... functionally. It looks nice, but I wouldn't really consider buying one over a rims tube unless I can find out more details on how much the element cost. I also can't seem to find a shot of the RTD probe placement, if it's replaceable or not.

It kind of sounds like it's "in the base"... and if it's all in one and a replacement is another few hundred bucks that's probably out of the question for most homebrewers.

I like the idea of it... the element is nice, but what happens when i burn that thing out by accident. Prob better suited to the prof setups, i'll stick to my $20-30 element replacement cost.
I agree with you here on many of your key points but the rtd sensor very likely can be removed from the base by pulling it out of the built in thermowell.. whether its the actual rtd with wires the owner needs to replace or theres another entire self contained rtd probe installed into the base.. in sure SS will provide a replacement part for this although the element looks as if it would be the whole base as you pointed out.

I too am looking forward to some reviews on this! I like that it's a "in between" range on wattage... 1500W responds a little slow, 5500W is overkill. I honestly installed a subpanel in my garage so I can have the circuitry to run this if I can manage to afford it a little later. I also have a 20G mash tun and am not sure if my 120V 1500W system would be up to the task.

I too am looking forward to some reviews on this! I like that it's a "in between" range on wattage... 1500W responds a little slow, 5500W is overkill. I honestly installed a subpanel in my garage so I can have the circuitry to run this if I can manage to afford it a little later. I also have a 20G mash tun and am not sure if my 120V 1500W system would be up to the task.
Im in the process of downgrading the power output of my rims for my 3 bbl system from 2 2200w 28" long elements to two 1800w 36" long elements which I'm fairly certain will net me better performance with less power as it did on my home system.. I actually had some scorching (4.5gpm flow too) on a beer when step mashing which was the push to change it up. Power isnt the only contributing factor here... if you have a longer tube/element its longer , more gentle heating over that longer travel time which can work in a similar fashion as a herm and give those benefits without the risk of any scorching.

I use a 1800w element on my 15 gallon setup at home for brewing 11 gallon brews and get over 2 degrees per minute rise on the mash when step mashing at 1.8gpm.

Latest posts

Back