SS HERMS permanent install problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3asturd

Reaction score
I just installed this SS coil (NYBREWSUPPLY) but for the life of me can't stop a very small leak at both of the 90 compression fittings. I have continuously cranked on both, and reduced the leaks, but there's still a drop about once a minute. That would be 60 drops an hour. Is that enough of a leak that I should continue to mess with these things? My hands are sore from getting this thing installed correctly. I wonder if the leak would always be wort to HLT water, or if sometimes the water from the HLT would leak in to the wort. I bet with pump on the wort would be a small leak. I could do a dye test I guess.

6798-just-finished-my-ss-herms-coil-installed-my-hlt-small-drip-ill-need-seal-up-one-compression-fittings-these-things-tough-seal-up.jpg

just finished the install of my herms coil -I butchered my old immersion chiller - and I had to struggle for two days to fix a leak in the coil connections and in the bulkheads - which I soldered.

Fix it - you won't be happy until you do.

without seeing what is going on I can't really hep you. best idea - take the female compression part off, wrap the male threads and try again. that is what helped me.

just finished the install of my herms coil -I butchered my old immersion chiller - and I had to struggle for two days to fix a leak in the coil connections and in the bulkheads - which I soldered.

Fix it - you won't be happy until you do.

without seeing what is going on I can't really hep you. best idea - take the female compression part off, wrap the male threads and try again. that is what helped me.

You're right, I'm sure I won't quit until it's leak free. I just have to quit for the night. My hands are on FIRE! haha

I'll definitely try the teflon wrap idea. Thanks

I'd be interested to know how well this setup is working for you. Looks like you're using a 3/8" stainless coil. Any significant flow restrictions? Did you consider using 1/2" coil? Just curious as I'm working on a similar setup and would prefer a 1/2" coil but can't find anything pre-fab.

Thanks!

I'd be interested to know how well this setup is working for you. Looks like you're using a 3/8" stainless coil. Any significant flow restrictions? Did you consider using 1/2" coil? Just curious as I'm working on a similar setup and would prefer a 1/2" coil but can't find anything pre-fab.

Thanks!

I've done plenty of water tests already and have noticed quite a bit of flow restriction through the 3/8" chiller. If I had the option of going back in time I would try to find or make a 1/2" coil. I will still attemp to mash with this thing but I may run in to problems with such a slow flow rate. I'd guess it's about a 50% reduction, but that's a wild guess.

Back