SS growler top blew off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
I took a break to grab a growler from my local brewery (Singlecut) and when in hopped back on my bike after riding for about 5 minutes I heard a large POP. I tore open my backpack and found the growler open and beer everywhere. Was it the bike riding? Would this have happened with a glass growler? I've taken a picture of the offender and the backpack. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394945467.284804.jpg ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394945525.060660.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you think it worked its way unscrewed while you were riding, or do you think it built up so much pressure it blew the top off past the threads?

I have had screw tops under pressure that "pop" when I have about a quarter turn left. I am assuming as the threads taper towards the end the pressure overcomes the friction of the threads. I own a growler just like that an I think it would be highly unlikely for the top to go from snuggly screwed on to popping completely off... But I guess there is no way to tell without a controlled experiment.

I know with that growler you really have to screw the lid on extra extra tight. I also did a comparison from that ss growler and a glass growler and it holds about 6oz less than glass. It sure keeps things super cold super long.

I find beer doesn't get shaken up much at all when I put it in panniers. Using a messenger bag it did get jostled a lot.

I thought I had the lid on really tight but next time I'll have to really give it a twist. All I can think is maybe there was a bit too much headroom and the beer had room to shake around. I'll also probably be a bit more careful next time and maybe use my panniers.

I've used this growler In a backpack a lot, just never while riding my bike. Could the beer being highly carbonated also play a roll?

Thanks everyone.

I carry a pretty similar one in my panniers all the time, and don't have any problems with the top, as long as it's not cross-threaded or anything. I guess my beers aren't very highly carbonated, though (I tend to like them kinda English-y, under 2.0 volumes).

Back