SS Brewtech MT thermometer retrofit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidAtlanticBrew

Reaction score
I have the 20 gallon SS brewtech MT and I'm happy with it except of the digital thermometer. The probe sits in a thermowell and it is generally 1 to 4 degrees lower then my Thermopen. The mashtun holds temp really well, but you wouldn't know it based on the stock thermometer. Anyway, I can and have been working around this, but if there are any easy fixes, i'd impliment it. I appreciate your suggestions

Figured this out ..... thought I'd share with anyone else looking to make this change. It seems easy but the last step is critical before you proceed.

I bought a 1/2 inch npt, 6 inch probe thermometer from MoreBeer and a "BULKHEAD 1/2" FPT FOR KETTLE THERMOMETER OR WHIRLPOOL FITTING" from SS Brew Tech.

The only tricky part was enlarging the stock hole with a step bit. WARNING .... CHECK CLEARANCE and BULKHEAD SEAL DIAMETER BEFORE DRILLING. My stock hole was offset from the center of the thin uninsulated portion of the MT. It was so far off center that I only had about 1/8 inch to spare to ensure the oring had a flat surface to seal on.

Back