SS brewtech LCD display temperature limit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
So I am wondering if I just made a big mistake by purchasing my mashtun/brewing kettle upgrades. First of all I mash in a brewing kettle with an adjustable thermostat. So I thought it might be handy to get a more accurate way to measure temperature then to stick a analog thermometer in there.

So I went ahead and bought the SS Brewtech weldless thermowell , the special drillbit for it to drill the 17mm hole and I also ordered the SS Brewtech LCD display. However the store I bought it from never mentioned anything about a temperature limit so I surfed to the SS site and it said, NOT intended for boiling temps.

I haven't drilled the hole yet so at least no damage to my kettle, but what are my options here?
Could I still use it to monitor my mash? a mash out typically is about 77C so nowhere near boiling, or would this be too hot already? If you guys think this should be safe I could remove it when I switch the kettle to full whack for boiling.

Or am I kinda screwed and have a useless piece of kit on my hands now? I could always install the thermowell in my plastic fermenter to feed it data to my Inkbird controlling my fermentation chamber, but that's not exactly what I bought it for in the first place.

As always any and all comments are appreciated!
Thanks in advance, Remi

It would be this unit:
temp_module_use_this_2000x.jpg

DSC_7419_2000x.jpg

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/temp-display-module-for-chronical-series-fermenters

Ok stupid me, there was a little booklet left in the box my delivery came in. It says it is intended for the Infusion Mash tun, and it has a temperature range of-29 to +82c
So if I removed it before boiling all should be fine. Sorry for bothering you guys with my lack of reading the user manual.

Back