SS Brewtech Chronical BME leaking from sample port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all - new conical fermenter is great. Only thing I dont like about it is the silly sample port uses a o-ring that I just cannot get to stop leaking.

I’ve read any number of folks that have the same problem but they all say you have to tighten it but not too tight or you deform the o-ring. I’ve tried it loose, medium, tight and had luck with just water in the conical about 1 out of 5 times. When I thought I had it figured out, I started my cider.

All was well until this evening when I touched the sample port inadvertently - didn’t open the valve or anything, just kind of bumped it. Immediately started leaking.

Quickly cleaned and sanitized a bucket and saved the cider, but this really frustrates me. You’d think somebody would have come up with a better seal than this silly black o-ring.

Anyone??

Sorry to hear that, it shouldn't happen. Is the o-ring on the inside, that's where it should be, right?

I would contact the company if it keeps leaking.

Sorry to hear that, it shouldn't happen. Is the o-ring on the inside, that's where it should be, right?

I would contact the company if it keeps leaking.

Yes, on the inside. But, I tried inside, outside and both sides, as they sent me two o-rings. Kind of ridiculous, really. All the other ports have flat washers/gaskets. Not sure why this one is different.

Is it leaking due to the curvature of the vessel wall? That would be hard to remediate without a special curved pressure washer or counter element. Most weldless kettle bulkheads seem to seal fine, though just using an o-ring and flat washer.

As @Spartan1979 says, a little thicker o-ring can fill a larger void.

Thanks for all responses and suggestions. I tried a bunch of different options: gaskets, hose washer, rubber washers, but finally went with the thicker o-ring on the inside and the original on the outside. Seems to work. Was able to tighten up just about as tight as I could by hand and no leaks. Starting a batch of beer today, wish me luck!

Which O-ring did you order? the choices on that website are endless!

thanks...

I ordered Model N3.00X016m which is 3 mm X 16mm Metric Buna-N 70 O-ring. Just now installing but these seem right and definitely thicker diameter. Will post back with leak test results. This thread may be old, but came up when I searched "chronical sample port leak o-ring", so wanted to get the SKU listed.

Initial leak test OK, I used the factory O-ring outside, thicker O-ring inside, and avoided over-tightening. (I hate plumbing: too loose, it leaks... too tight, it leaks...)

Last edited:
Awesome....much appreciated. I don't have the problem yet but I take it on and off everytime I ferment to clean so I anticipate a problem sooner rather than later....thanks!

Latest posts

Back