SS Brew Bucket questions before ordering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I'm VERY interested in these fermenters as after 4 years brewing in the original Cooper's fermenters (which I mostly love) I think it's time for a change. I'm looking at the Brewmaster Bucket with the thermometer probe. What I'm looking to alleviate, issue-wise, with my current fermenters is:

1. I want easy to open lid - the Coopers can often be crazy hard to unscrew
2. I want a non-screw in spigot - 2 of my fermenters spigots are getting finicky and leak a tiny bit and the only option is to tighten more but I can't tighten another full turn
3. I want stainless as it's easier to clean and less worry of scratching etc
4. I want a spigot that opens easily - the Cooper's is tight and often turns the whole spigot a bit when opening the valve so I have to brace it each time

So, this fermenter seems to do what I want. I've seen the thread and browsed it but it is something like 93 pages long!! I don't have the time to go through the whole thing. Can you owners give me any pre-order advice? I've seen some talk of replacing the O-Rings due to leakage at the ball valve? Also, I've seen a review that says the inner gallon markings wash off! Is that true?? I definitely need to know my volumes and this is very important. Are they still using printed or have they switched to etched markings? Anyhow, any other pointers, heads up, or advice you guys/gals can give? Thanks! :mug:

Rev.

Anyone?

I'll see if I can find the time today to read through that 90+ page thread some more but could totally use some pointers. I'm most curious about whether I should get replacement o-rings off the bat and if they fixed the issue with the lid seal falling out easily.

Rev.

I've had my brewbucket for about a year now and absolutely love it. It's super easy to use and clean. The volume markings look as good as the day it arrived. Not sure if they are printed or etched. I would check for you but it's currently full with a Milk Stout. I've never had any issues with the ball valve or the o-rings leaking. I just replaced them for my last batch since they were looking a little worn. So I got almost a year of use out of them with no issues.
hope this helps

I've had the bucket for a few months. It's great. I got the temp control setup as well. The markings are laser etched so as long as you don't scrub or use anything caustic you should be ok. I just use pbw and let it soak.
It comes with a few extra o-rings but more cant hurt. And there is a video on their site for seating the cover gasket. Follow that and you won't have a problem.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! I also emailed them to ask a few questions about improvements made over time. I'd read the racking arm was lengthened to get more beer out and from pics on their site it looks like they changed the racking arm o-rings to the black nitrile rubber style so I was curious about that since I saw a bunch of users report the o-rings breaking on first use.

Have any of you been using it with the racking arm in the down position the whole time? I think I'd prefer to not bother rotating it and such and am just wondering if there's any problem leaving it facing down.

Rev.

I rotate my racking arm 90 degrees as using it facing straight down I end up pulling some trub when taking samples. As far as the BrewBucket goes, my only complaint is that I wish I had skipped the FastFerment and gone directly to it instead!

I have a Spice Holiday Ale in the Brew Bucket now. It's my first use but so far so good.

I mentioned these as a possible economical alternative in last weeks brew bucket thread, They seem like a good value and come in 14 gallon sizes too... not that I'm discouraging the brew bucket in any way..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...664896?hash=item25b04d9700:g:vKQAAOSwwbdWMA1V

That's not a bad price. I just bought the SSBrew and got it this week. I used it for the first time last night and so far I love it. The one advantage I see over the alternative you linked would be, the collection of wort during fermentation. That racking arm is really cool feature. Having said that, I bet you could make a racking arm for it and put in a bulk head for the thermometer. By the time you do all that though, 225.00/shipped sounds good too. ;)

That's not a bad price. I just bought the SSBrew and got it this week. I used it for the first time last night and so far I love it. The one advantage I see over the alternative you linked would be, the collection of wort during fermentation. That racking arm is really cool feature. Having said that, I bet you could make a racking arm for it and put in a bulk head for the thermometer. By the time you do all that though, 225.00/shipped sounds good too. ;)
I use conical fermenters with dump valves so I have no real need of use for the racking arm (or at least I havent found one) That being said I could see it being useful in this type of setup where one cant really dump the trub and dead yeast easily.

Is the "arm" in the SS brew buckets really a rotating racking arm that can be turned from the outside? I was under the impression it operated more like a stationary dip tube you could just set at an angle prior to filling the fermenter? If thats the case one could easily make one for a few dollars..

Well, I went ahead and placed my order for the Brewmaster Bucket. :mug:

Also bought some spare parts like o-rings, lid seal, and replacement feet just for the heck of it. Also go the right angle lid blowoff port, 5' of silicone tubing, and the whole order was like $275. I think that's a damn good price.

Rev.

Is the "arm" in the SS brew buckets really a rotating racking arm that can be turned from the outside? I was under the impression it operated more like a stationary dip tube you could just set at an angle prior to filling the fermenter? If thats the case one could easily make one for a few dollars..

It can be turned and they recommend starting to rack with the arm horizontally (parallel to the floor). Then after a while you can slowly turn it downward to get as much out as possible. The one thing I've read is that you must be sure to turn it clockwise to prevent leaking.

Rev.

I don't understand why people complain about the o-rings in the racking arm. It's not like it would leak outside. They are just there to keep the arm from rotating around freely. The valve has its own o-ring but that is much more robust than the little black ones in the racking arm.

I don't understand why people complain about the o-rings in the racking arm. It's not like it would leak outside. They are just there to keep the arm from rotating around freely. The valve has its own o-ring but that is much more robust than the little black ones in the racking arm.

That's because the complaints were from *before* they switched to using the little black nitrile rubber o-rings. They used to use white or clear looking silicone (I think but could be wrong) o-rings. Those are the one's that would simply break when first inserting the racking arm. Then people said you simply need to lube or wet it and some still did that and had them split when first inserted. The solution that I've read on here was to switch them out to the black o-rings and I can see SS Brewing is now also using the black o-rings.

The nice thing about this company is that they seem to respond quite fast to any flaws/complaints with their products. I'd read about the lid silicone seal falling out too easily and they changed the lid to have a lip that retains the seal. I'd read about the sharpness of the machining cutout for the airlock chewing away the airlock grommet - they fixed that. Feel pretty good about this purchase but time will tell and I'll report back in the main big thread, probably here too. If this first one works out I'll also be replacing my other two fermenters (3 total) :mug:

Rev.

I use conical fermenters with dump valves so I have no real need of use for the racking arm (or at least I havent found one) That being said I could see it being useful in this type of setup where one cant really dump the trub and dead yeast easily.

Looks like Rev answered the rotation question.

On the dump valve, I don't know how hard it would be but I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to put a bulk head near the bottom to dump spent yeast.

That's because the complaints were from *before* they switched to using the little black nitrile rubber o-rings. They used to use white or clear looking silicone (I think but could be wrong) o-rings. Those are the one's that would simply break when first inserting the racking arm. Then people said you simply need to lube or wet it and some still did that and had them split when first inserted. The solution that I've read on here was to switch them out to the black o-rings and I can see SS Brewing is now also using the black o-rings.

The nice thing about this company is that they seem to respond quite fast to any flaws/complaints with their products. I'd read about the lid silicone seal falling out too easily and they changed the lid to have a lip that retains the seal. I'd read about the sharpness of the machining cutout for the airlock chewing away the airlock grommet - they fixed that. Feel pretty good about this purchase but time will tell and I'll report back in the main big thread, probably here too. If this first one works out I'll also be replacing my other two fermenters (3 total) :mug:

Rev.

Totally agree, they are good with improving and adding features. Maybe a V2.5 is in the works. ;)

Looks like Rev answered the rotation question.

On the dump valve, I don't know how hard it would be but I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to put a bulk head near the bottom to dump spent yeast.

Totally agree, they are good with improving and adding features. Maybe a V2 is in the works. ;)
yup i saw and "liked" his comment...
I think the real issue with putting a dump valve is the conical bottom on these is too shallow for the yeast to fall to the bottom like a normal conical fermenter.. I believe this has been tried and discussed before..

Rev.

Yes I would have to agree...I ordered a couple of chronicals a while back for a friend who does not own a computer and he had some issues with the seals on one of his conicals. Since SS brewing has no phone customer service I had to field all his communications with them and they respond very quickly to address the situation.... I still feel they would benefit from having phone support... Its funny because they place ads in the old school paper magazines that are read by a large number of people that are not computer saavy. But they have no way for those people to order or deal with them short of having that person go use a computer at the library that they have no idea how to use or have a friend order and deal with SS for them... The conicals were backordered for over a month and I had to relay the progress report emails by phone to my friend each time I received one (which SS was very top top of providing BTW). They told me they dont provide phone support or a contact number so they can keep the operating costs down... It just seems like it would be counterproductive to sales to me and im not even that old...

I think the real issue with putting a dump valve is the conical bottom on these is too shallow for the yeast to fall to the bottom like a normal conical fermenter..

Yeah I think the conical bottom is really only intended to collect trub (which I think is convenient and effective) and reduce surface area contact with the beer (something I personally, without scientific backing, think probably doesn't matter all that much). I mean, they do sell their own actual conical fermenters.

I don't harvest or reuse yeast, at least not now for my homebrewing. I change up beers too often and don't care to save the few dollars by collecting, washing, and storing yeast. If the day ever comes that I open a brewpub then oh yeah I think I'll be in the yeast collection/reuse business but for now it's not even a consideration for me.

Rev.

They told me they dont provide phone support or a contact number so they can keep the operating costs down... It just seems like it would be counterproductive to sales to me and im not even that old...

Totally agree. I'm coming up on 42 but have been a computer geek since the early days. Heck, I'm a professional IT Tech for a living! But I've kind of come to the point where if the business doesn't have a phone number I usually don't bother doing business with them. With SS though I'd read about how great their support is and how generous they are with sending out replacement parts and such, and they emailed me back within the hour! So I felt fine with it, plus their fermenter offers me everything I want that most others don't have and at a great price (at least in my eyes it's a great price) :)

Rev.

Yeah I think the conical bottom is really only intended to collect trub (which I think is convenient and effective) and reduce surface area contact with the beer (something I personally, without scientific backing, think probably doesn't matter all that much). I mean, they do sell their own actual conical fermenters.

I don't harvest or reuse yeast, at least not now for my homebrewing. I change up beers too often and don't care to save the few dollars by collecting, washing, and storing yeast. If the day ever comes that I open a brewpub then oh yeah I think I'll be in the yeast collection/reuse business but for now it's not even a consideration for me.

Rev.
Yes as mentioned above I have a friend with a 14 and 17 gallon SS brewing conicals..

I find reusing the yeast useful... for example I did an american lager a few weeks ago and last week I did an amber lager...all I had to do was open the dump valve and take some of the yeast and throw it on my stirplate with a starter and it was ready to go for my lager the next day saving me $10... I really could have just reused the yeast direct from the dump valve but figured the starter could only help... The yeast doesnt have to be washed if your going from a lighter version of the beer to a stronger/or darker version...

I have said it before but I believe removing the yeast does improve the beer at least it has made a big improvement for me..

Yes as mentioned above I have a friend with a 14 and 17 gallon SS brewing conicals..

I know you know and saw you mention the Chronical's in your post. Was just stating the obvious referencing anyone trying to compare the brewbucket conical section to a true conical fermenter :mug:

Rev.

Totally agree. I'm coming up on 42 but have been a computer geek since the early days. Heck, I'm a professional IT Tech for a living! But I've kind of come to the point where if the business doesn't have a phone number I usually don't bother doing business with them. With SS though I'd read about how great their support is and how generous they are with sending out replacement parts and such, and they emailed me back within the hour! So I felt fine with it, plus their fermenter offers me everything I want that most others don't have and at a great price (at least in my eyes it's a great price) :)

Rev.
Yes im 37 and deal with computers (and IT depts) every day as a field engineer. I usually dont bother with a company that doesnt have a phone number either which is why it surprises me they feel its not worth it.... I mean surely they sell enough products to be able to justify it right? and they dont make any of their own products that I know of (maybe they assemble the FTS?) so its not like there too busy with manufacturing? I dont know just seems odd...maybe its a part time second gig for the owner?

I ferment with the arm in the down position so it doesn't suck up trub. When you need to turn it to sample or rack make sure you turn it clockwise so it doesn't loosen and leak.

Rev.

I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure you understood my post. I am asking, "so what if the o-ring fails?" I would have to go play with my racking arm, which I'll do tonight, but I don't think you even need the o-rings. Maybe it keeps the racking arm from falling to the down position, but from what I remember, it's a pretty tight fit. The O-ring in the racking arm sure doesn't prevent leaks though.

The O-ring in the racking arm sure doesn't prevent leaks though.

*edit - nevermind l, I see what you are saying. The outside O-ring is what keeps it from leaking. I guess the small rubber one's on the arm just keep it in place.

Rev.

I had a lot of issues with the orings that seal the valve when I first got mine. They were finicky about sealing. I bought some o-rings with a slightly thicker cross-section and that solved my problems. I also ending up finding some feet that last a lot longer on Amazon. $10 spent and now I'm very happy with both of my BrewBuckets.

I had a lot of issues with the orings that seal the valve when I first got mine. They were finicky about sealing. I bought some o-rings with a slightly thicker cross-section and that solved my problems. I also ending up finding some feet that last a lot longer on Amazon. $10 spent and now I'm very happy with both of my BrewBuckets.

Aby chance you can link to the o-rings and feet?

Thanks!

Rev.

Does anyone happen to know whether the Cool-Zone conical cooling jacket would fit the BrewBucket? I'm going through the same mental calculus as Rev., and like the look of the BrewBuckets. I already have an investment in the CoolZone system and would like to keep using it if possible.

Does anyone happen to know whether the Cool-Zone conical cooling jacket would fit the BrewBucket? I'm going through the same mental calculus as Rev., and like the look of the BrewBuckets. I already have an investment in the CoolZone system and would like to keep using it if possible.

I don't own one, but looking up the jacket info and dimensions of the Brew Bucket it looks like you would use either one jacket plus the expansion or two jackets. But you can email SS brewing, shoot them a link to the jacket and what you have exactly and I'm sure they'll let you know if it will work fine.

Rev.

Da'faq Spartan....link em.

I wrote the original thread ...its great...in the end its just a fermenter...still have to excute the brewing process and temp control to make great beer

Aby chance you can link to the o-rings and feet?

Thanks!

Rev.

The feet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8UN6XI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

These are a hard rubber, but they do fit with a bit of persuasion.

61smD9bEGxL._SL1100_.jpg

For the O-rings, SS Brewing Technologies says they're 16MM x 1.8MM Buna N-90 Orings. So something like this:

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368_52_51&products_id=2301

Or you could go thicker and try these:
http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368_52_617&products_id=20206

Buy some of the small ones for the racking arm. Those are 8.5MM x 1MM Buna N-70.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368_12_36&products_id=1787

Last edited by a moderator:
I already ripped out the racking arms and tossed em but better orings sounds great! Thank you!

Quick question for anyone with a BrewBucket with a thermowell -- can you insert a digital temp sensor into the thermowell, or are you limited to the thermometer supplied with the BB? I ask, because I'd like to hook it up to my STC-1000 temp controller. Thanks!

The single carboy jacket will fit perfectlyplus it has much better cooling capacity.... The ones they now market for conicals are worthless tiny things actually designed for 1 gallon jugs... I believe they are just marketing them for conicals so people buy 3-4 or them for $200 to cool one conical...Honestly the $10 discharge hose setup I made for my newest conical works better than the coolzone jacket I use on my 12.5 gallon stout conical.

Quick question for anyone with a BrewBucket with a thermowell -- can you insert a digital temp sensor into the thermowell, or are you limited to the thermometer supplied with the BB? I ask, because I'd like to hook it up to my STC-1000 temp controller. Thanks!

If its an actual thermowell a temp sensor will fit.

Mine is arriving Friday, though it won't get used for a week or so. Will report back in time.

Rev.

Back