SS Braid Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBreweryUnderground

Reaction score
So I've been working on this mash braid trying to get out the inner hose for a while now and it just doesn't want to come out. What have people used to poke it at the base to make it easier to pull out? I've been using a thumb tack and small screw driver, I wish I could find an exacto knife as I feel that would do that trick.

FWIW, the way I tackled my 3/4" water heater supply braid was to cut off each end with my angle grinder. Push the braid together (each end "inward" toward one another) and slide the inner tube out. Easy peasy. Don't forget to fold the ends in so the braided end don't fray and poke the crap out of you.

Cool brewery name BTW.

Think of it as a chinese finger trap.

+1.
I take a pair of diagonal cutters and cut the fittings off each end.
diagonal_cut_pliers.jpg

Then just push the SS mesh off the hose. Don't pull off )see above Chinese finger trap reason). You should need no tools once the ends are cut off. Angle grinder is mega over kill for this!!

FWIW, the way I tackled my 3/4" water heater supply braid was to cut off each end with my angle grinder. Push the braid together (each end "inward" toward one another) and slide the inner tube out. Easy peasy. Don't forget to fold the ends in so the braided end don't fray and poke the crap out of you.

Cool brewery name BTW.

I used a hack saw, but yeah, bunch it up a little and it should just slide off. Try not to mangle or stretch the braid, you can ruin it if you're too rough.

Watch the cut ends of braid. It's like needles and will bleed you.

Problem is I'm using the thread from the braid to connect into a ball valve so I couldn't just cut it off. I gave up last night but worked on it again this morning and I think metal and coffee brought out enough rage to take care of it. Now I just have to deal with the leaks but then my monster mash tun should be ready. For anyone else having issues I found a phillips head screw driver worked best out of the tools I had available.

I'm pretty sure the hose is on a barb and metal ferrules are crimped down over the hose and barb. Did you manage to pull the hose out even with the ferrules attached?

Hah, I just finished with it and saw all these posts. I definitely just yanked it off. I thought it was like a chinese finger trap but the scrunching method wasn't working. Brute force didn't destroy it so I guess all ended well. I think the hose I got must be of a different extra strong variety or something because it held up really well and wasn't taking any sh*t from me.

I'm pretty sure the hose is on a barb and metal ferrules are crimped down over the hose and barb. Did you manage to pull the hose out even with the ferrules attached?

I cut the hose at the base underneath the braid so there is still a little bit left in there but not much to make a difference.

Back