SS Braid in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddanc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I intend to install a SS braid in my kettle so I can mash in it. It is already affixed with a brass valve and removable pick-up drainage spout. Question is, if I leave the SS braid attached during boil, will I have to worry about a clogged drainage from the trub? Or would it be wise to take it off and put the pick-up spout back on?

Hope I explained it clearly enough. In a perfect world, I'd like to convert a cooler, but right now im budgeting, so getting the SS braid is an investment regardless as I can transfer it to my mash tun cooler when I buy it.

Cheer

Typically I believe a braid will clog in the boil pot, especially if you are using pellet hops. I have seen photos of a long braid coiled in the bottom of a boil pot, but have never tried it. From memory, I recall it looking like a 4' washing machine braid.

Since budget is a factor, rather than trying to do it w/ one vessel, i would suggest using a braid ghetto style in any old cooler or even a 5-6 gallon bucket, as this would avoid sparging into buckets...cleaning the kettle and then transfering, then risking a clogged kettle...way too much risk and hassle. Even a 5 gallon bottling bucket ghetto rigged w/ a braid and wrapped in a couple of blankets will work for a mash.

Not sure...but i believe some people may use a bazooka type screen for boiling...but whole hops only as they help by making a filter bed.

ghetto mash tun...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ten-minute-cooler-mash-tun-conversion-125108/

Or try BIAB...

Or, if you really want to mash in your kettle w/ a braid, collect runnings, modify kettle, and then transfer runnings...whew... have at it.

I am a little confused by your question as you will be draining from your mash tun to your boil kettle anyways so why would you boil in your mash tun?

To answer it, I would not see any problem with boiling the SS screen. They actuallly make them to screen the hop particles. If it does get clogged then just siphon that back out and you know you need to remove the screen next time.

ah, as i ponder the idea, it would seem like a hassle to change it in and out. instead of rushing to brew again, i will just save $$ for a cooler. thanks for satiating my haste. cheers all!

Latest posts

Back