Squeeze or pull Butterfly valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tophmck

Reaction score
I'm about to buy tri clamp butterfly valves. Anyone have a preference between pull triggers and squeeze triggers?

In particular, I'm wondering:

1) How hard do you have to pull before you can rotate the pull triggers? If you have to pull hard, are the squeeze triggers easier for one handed operation (particularly if the vessel it's attached to is empty)?

2) One will be on the outlet of a direct fired boil kettle. Is the handle on the squeeze trigger more likely to melt? Or will both versions need a heat shield anyway to keep the seat from melting?

EDIT: I should mention that none of the valves will be used for flow control -- they'll always be fully on or fully off.

I got the pull trigger version. I just had visions of the plastic handle on the squeeze trigger failing mid session.

Once the valve is fitted it's not hard to pull and turn. Very easy one handed.

OK, thanks for the feedback, luhrks. If it's easy to use one handed, I think I'll go with the pull trigger. It just looks so much more durable.

(Although if morebeer had a 1" version of this, I'd be all over it.)

Cool, stpats does have an all stainless version. Thanks for the lead, StMarcos!

So the decision now is $65 for the all stainless trigger handle at stpats versus $47 for the pull handle at brewer's hardware. I need five. Now that I realize that it's a $90 upgrade, those pull handles are looking better :) I guess I'll sleep on it.

Cool, stpats does have an all stainless version. Thanks for the lead, StMarcos!

So the decision now is $65 for the all stainless trigger handle at stpats versus $47 for the pull handle at brewer's hardware. I need five. Now that I realize that it's a $90 upgrade, those pull handles are looking better :) I guess I'll sleep on it.

Tough choice. I don't regret mine, they work just fine. I didn't know the other option existed, but I still don't think I would have changed my decision. Less surface area for heat if don't have it screened properly is my thought.

If you don't think you can muster the $$$ for what you really want, keep sleeping on it. Took me years to build the bicycle I really wanted, and even though it was non-functional the whole time, I'm glad I waited till I got the bits I wanted. Cold side valves are a good place to sink brewing $$$ in my opinion, as are fermenters. Cheap out on MTs and HLTs.

Latest posts

Back