Spunding valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veets

Reaction score
I've been using a spunding valve foa while but have never noticed how it releases gas in practice. Never sat around and watched and listened.
Does anyone know whether it releases gas in bursts or as a slow trickle?
I've got an IPA in day 7 of fermentation and am curious whether I could monitor progression by listening to the valve release, analogous to counting bubbles, or whether it's a slow inaudible process. Before I break out audio recording gear, I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Mine seem to do it in a slow trickle. Of course, when gas production is quite vigorous, it seems to go in a steady low hiss. However, towards the end, even when I know there is still some gas being produced and must be venting through the valve, I can never seem to detect anything going on with the valve release.

Mine seem to do it in a slow trickle. Of course, when gas production is quite vigorous, it seems to go in a steady low hiss. However, towards the end, even when I know there is still some gas being produced and must be venting through the valve, I can never seem to detect anything going on with the valve release.
Thanks! Very helpful

Well, I was very curious so I hooked up a ziploc bag over the valve as a makeshift balloon. In a little over an hour it filled the quart bag with CO2. Now I'm waiting for the zipper seal to pop. :)
Next step for me is to figure out a way to hook up a bubbler.

Latest posts

Back