Spruce tip beer hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just picked a ziplock bag full of spruce tips and was going to brew up a five gallon batch of spruce tip IPA this week. I was planning on adding about 2oz of them to the last 5 min and through the whirlpool. Any thoughts on the amount and type of hops that would complement it? I was thinking Simcoe, Columbus, or Nugget,,,,,

Id keep away from the dank hops. Piney is good. I like noble hops as well.

My rec though is Polaris. 2 oz at flameout.

I brewed a 5 gallon IPA using only El Dorado/Spruce Tip pellets made as an experiment by a local hop producer Chilliwack Hop Farms and it is amazing!

I have enough left for another 5 gallon batch and I will be brewing it right away, flavour is subtle yet unique enough to bring out a complex flavours unlike hops alone.

The hops/tips came pelletized together so I am not sure of the ratio but I would love to try again with another hops as well.

When you brewed your 5 gallon IPA using the El Dorado/Spruce hop pellets, how many oz. did you add? And when in the boil did you add them?

I have 4.5 oz of frozen spruce tips picked this spring. Been looking for a recipe for them. Care to share?

When you brewed your 5 gallon IPA using the El Dorado/Spruce hop pellets, how many oz. did you add? And when in the boil did you add them?

I used a total of 4oz (measured at 15AA by the producer) spread through the boil and dry hop, calculator shows it at roughly 55 IBU. Just right for an IPA for me.

.5oz @ 60min
.5oz @ 30min
.5oz @ 10min
.5oz @ 0min
2oz dry hop for 2 days

Here is a link to my recipe at Brewers Friend if you want to have a look. It was wonderful and I am looking forward to making something like it again.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/448344/07-golden-spruce-ipa

I just picked up another bunch of Spruce mixed pellets, this time they are with Centennial. I can hardly wait to brew this one too.

Thanks for sharing. I will be getting some Cascade/Spruce hops from Chilliwack Hop Farm and really have no idea how to use them. I'm really looking forward to brewing a Spruce IPA like Alaska Brewing.
Cheers!

Nice!

I also got my El Dorado/Spruce from Chilliwack Hop Farms. I got my second batch of Cascade/Spruce from Northwest Hop Farms.

Both are fantastic hop producers.

Good luck with your Spruce IPA.

Back