Spring Reign-ish Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to try to brew something like Ninkasi's Spring Reign. Their website lists 2-Row Malt and Biscuit with a starting gravity of 1.056, and 38 IBUs using Santium, Simcoe, and Ahtanum.

I really enjoy this year's iteration of it. Better tasters and wordsmiths than I have described it online. I don't have much experience with unraveling a recipe; any recommendations would be welcome. Here's what I have hacked out:

4.5-gallon batch
OG: 1.058 FG: 1.016

8.5# 2-Row
1# Belgian Biscuit

0.5oz Simcoe (14.1%)-----60 min
0.25oz Santiam (6.6%)----30 min
0.25oz Santiam-----------10 min
0.5oz Ahtanum (4%)------10 min
0.5oz Ahtanum------------5 min

I'm not too worried about nailing the Spring Reign, I'm mostly wondering what you all think of this balance of hops.
I have a Kolsch in primary, I was planning on pitching this ale on top of the Kolsch's yeast cake.

Ended up with:
Wyeast 2565
8.5# GW Pale Malt (3L)
1# Castle Biscuit Malt (18-27L)
Mashed @152*F

0.5oz Amarillo 15 minutes [HBS was out of Ahtanum]
1oz Simcoe 15 minutes
0.5oz Santiam 10 minutes
1oz Amarillo 5 minutes
0.5oz Santium flameout
0.5oz Antanum flameout

It was tasty, really enjoyable; but a bit of a hot mess. I'd like to get a few clear notes in it. I'm thinking of trying Wyeast 1332 and braking up the hops a bit-- Simcoe early (starting at 30 minutes), Santiam in the middle (10, 5), and Amarillo late (dryhop). Would separating the hops in this way help with cleaner notes?

Back