Spots on carboy from One-Step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After my last brew, I rinsed out my carboy and filled it to the brim with One-Step to help get some of the crusted-on hops and such off of the glass. Well... about 2-3 weeks later, I finally got around to emptying the carboy. When I did, I noticed that the One-Step seems to have left tiny spots all over the inside of my carboy. Rinsing with hot water and scrubbing with my carboy brush did nothing.

What are these spots? Are they hardened-on One-Step? Is the carboy etched permanently? Can I take these off with a little acid cleaner, like Star-San?

Any help would be hugely-appreciated! :)

Are they white bumps? I haven't used one step in a long time. But if its a powdery substance a good white vinegar wash will work great. Or any other weak acid. Then rinse good

Is your carboy glass or plastic? Am guessing glass...

From what I've read this is a mineral crystal that encapsulates oxygen; when exposed to water the mineral *mostly * dissolves and hydrogen peroxide forms (thus the sanitizing action - through degrading into oxygen and water). The dissolving leaves behind some of the minerals... and have to add that in any container I've added this to it always seems there is some white granules hanging about. Never worried about it and haven't experienced problems from it.

That being said, I wonder if filling your carboy with a mixture of PBW and water will get rid of this? :)

3 weeks is too long with 1 step as it would be with oxiclean. Clean with these products for 3-5 hours at most in my opinion to avoid any chemical build up on the carboy.

Thanks. I'll give the light acid bath a try and see if the spots come off. Just one more reason not to use One-Step. I've already purchased a bottle of Star San. The carboy is glass, not plastic.

I'll try the vinegar first, and then maybe PBW, if that doesn't work.

The vinegar should work. I've had that happen a couple times when I was first experimenting with cleaning my carboys. Just a small amount of vinegar in there and swirl it around every once in a while to keep everything wet... Shouldn't take long to get the spots off.

Thanks krazydave. I tried the vinegar and mixed it with a bit of water for more volume, then swirled around quite a bit. Looks like it got nearly all of the spots off of the glass. Must have just been some mineral deposits or something.

Back