Spontaneous fermentation in a sample I pulled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Saturday night I brewed up a batch, and when I was transferring to my carboy, I grabbed a sample to check the gravity, put it down and completely forgot about it. 20 hours later, my wife asks me what the hell is in my sample tube, and I go over and find it fermenting away.

WP_20140803_002.jpg

I took this picture about 24 hours after leaving the sample out in the open. The krausen on it ended up actually getting about 2x bigger than in that picture, about 48 hours after being left out, and while it's started to drop now, it's still fermenting away. I'm actually curious as to what it's going to taste like.

Sadly if it does end up tasting any good (doubtful I'm sure), I doubt I'd be able to do much to grab the yeast from there as there is so much hop gunk and whatnot that was in there. Still, kinda neat though, and thought it was worth a share.

Sounds like wild Brettanomyces (or something funky). That stuff will munch away on the sugars that Saccharomyces leave behind. The smoking gun would be if it tastes tart.

I quite often will dump the last of the boil kettle in a quart or two quart jar and let it sit on the counter, it will start showing fermentation within 12 hours, most of the time it smells like crap and gets dumped but I do have one I bottled and is sitting in the basement till I feel like cracking it open and see what I have.

Sounds like wild Brettanomyces (or something funky). That stuff will munch away on the sugars that Saccharomyces leave behind. The smoking gun would be if it tastes tart.

Probably not brett. It does not work that fast nd does not taste tart. Probably just some yeast floating around or some yeast in your sample tube was not fully cleaned.

Probably not brett. It does not work that fast nd does not taste tart. Probably just some yeast floating around or some yeast in your sample tube was not fully cleaned.

Your right, I got my bugs mixed up.

Back