Spoiled or OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWhit

Reaction score
I'm an idiot. I realized that I had a batch that I had been fermenting in the closet for 2-3 months and I had forgotten about it.

When I check on it, I see that all the water had evaporated from the airlock. Uh oh. Now, when I open it up, it looks like this.

image.jpg

What do you think? Spoiled or not?

Taste it. It doesn't look spoiled to me. Technically, beer doesn't spoil, it's not going to hurt you. You might get something in it that tastes bad, but I don't see any pellicles or mold.

The age itself is no issue, I've had a beer go four months in secondary after four weeks in primary, and it was great. I've read of lots of beers that went way longer in secondary.

Looks like yeast rafts to me. My understanding is that if you have discrete chunks like that, it's usually just yeast. If all those white bits were webbed together or if they covered your entire surface, then there might be reason to worry.

Ok. Thanks, guys.

This is an IPA. I did taste it. It had a little bit of twang to it. Not my best, but it wasn't terrible.

I'll go ahead and bottle it and see how it turns out.

Back