Splitting Whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPal75

Reaction score
Ok, this is a silly question admittedly. But has anyone found a good way to split a whirlfloc tablet in half for adding into 5 gallon batches? I've been splitting my tablets for a while now after reading the manufacturer said 1/2 tablet was enough for 5 gallons, but I can't for the life of me figure out a good way to do this. I usually end up hacking at it until it breaks into shards, and then I'm left sorting the pieces and trying to get roughly half of them into my kettle.

I use my pocket knife set it on a cutting board, place the knife half way on the tablet and put my palm on the back of the knife applying even pressure. Never had an issue getting it in 2 nice pieces.

kf

Isn't whirlfloc about $0.20 a pill? Seems kinda pointless to split. It would take you over 30 batches to save enough money for a pack of cigarettes...

I can't think of any drawback to just dropping the whole pill...

I used to split them in half, but because of all the shards I would get splitting them, I just chuck a whole pill in for my 5 gallon batches. I don't use any for my one gallon batches.

Seriously, if the manufacturer says only a 1/2 tablet is needed for 5 gallons, why not make a smaller tablet??

I used to split them in half, but because of all the shards I would get splitting them, I just chuck a whole pill in for my 5 gallon batches. I don't use any for my one gallon batches.

I split in half. As someone else mentioned, I usually get roughly half the tablet splitting it with a pocket knife.

I read elsewhere than using too much results in "fluffy" trub, which makes it hard to get the full volume out of your kettle or fermenter. I used a full tablet on my first AG batch, and I could see what they meant.

Seriously, if the manufacturer says only a 1/2 tablet is needed for 5 gallons, why not make a smaller tablet??

Probably because they sell a lot more whirlfloc to people who do larger batches than 5G than those that do 5G or less. I.E. not homebrewers.

I cut each tab into 20 pieces for 1/2 gallon batches using an atomic laser. I estimate my yearly saving at about $18.50, not counting the cost of the atomic laser ($25,000 used for a 1960's model on Al Jazeera Ebay). :p I'll recoup most of that initial investment by threatening to blow up the moon for ransom $$. The laser also comes in handy for cutting cheese and deli meats.

Here's my last brewday:

7up-giant-laser.jpg

Weigh a tablet then smash a bunch up and put it in a bag and measure your doses by weight.

I do this for Campden tablets which are infinitely smaller.

Thanks everyone - I'll try the pocketknife idea and see if that works better for me. As someone already mentioned, I split not to save a few bucks but to avoid excess fluffiness of trub and lost wort in my transfer. I've tried the same recipe both ways and I definitely noticed more cloud-like trub when I used the full tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back