Splitting starter between 2 jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squiggy_j

Reaction score
If I need to make a 3.6L starter, is it just as effective to mix the starter up in a pot and then split it between two 1.8L jars? I have a bunch of 2L wide-mouth jars that I like to use for starters, but nothing really appropriate in bigger sizes.

Thanks.

Yes, technically you can split the starter into multiple vessels if needed. I would use yeastcalc.com to determine the appropriate sizes because the yeast's growth factor varies depending on the amount of the wort (growth factor varies by aeration method as well). As an example, two 1.8L starters gives you more yeast than one 3.6L starter according to the C.White method in yeastcalc.

I like to do it as a step when I'm splitting into two different vessels for a bigger volume of starter.

If using a new vial (rather than a jar of harvested), I'll get it going as a small 1L starter on the stir plate and run it 14 hours or so. After crashing and decanting the wort, I can then split the culture into the two containers with fresh wort and get the volume/cell count I need that way.

It really helps if you oxygenate/aerate the starter wort thoroughly before pitching.

Back