Splitting and storing brew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bateleur

Reaction score
I’ve only done non grain beer kits and am currently happy with that.
Basically, I boil a ready-made concoction on the stovetop (about 4 litres), pour it in my fermenter, add water to 23 litres, pitch the yeast and wait.

My first question is:
Can I split the 4 litre concoction in two, and with one half, add water to 11.5 litres (smaller fermenter) and store the other half - with the view to do the same thing to it in a month or two?

If yes:
Do I still use the full packet of yeast for each batch?
(In other words buy a second packet of yeast for the second batch)

Can I vacuum seal then freeze the remaining concoction?

When using the second half, do I thaw, boil, and then add to fermenter?

Thank you in advance.

Interesting question. I havent seen a kit like this before.

First question:
I am relatively new to brewing, but as to your first question I don’t see a reason you couldnt split the batch so long as everything stayed sanitary during storage. It sounds like the concoction your using is also pre-hopped. One issue I see as a potential problem is the hop aromas could fade.

Second question:
You could split the packet in half and use the second half for later. I’ve done so, although with slightly smaller batches and they turned out fine. The question is really do you have enough viable yeast to chew through the amount of sugars in your solution to achieve a well balanced beer.

I’m am not experienced enough to know what effect freezing would have on the solution. I don’t see it being an issue but I would defer to someone with more experience. If you do give it a try, please report back.

Good luck and cheers!

1. I would never trust wort sitting for a month. It's impossible, under home brewing conditions, to sterilize it. Bacteria would take over.
2. It seems many brewers keep opened packets of yeast for later use, but Danstar doesn't recommend it. From their website, "Once a pack is open it is recommended to use the yeast as quickly as possible." Your decision if you decide to proceed.
3. Vacuum sealing and freezing - interesting. Conceivably, this might make it feasible to store for a month, but I couldn't say. If so, that would change the answer to #1.

Welcome to the forum.

1. I would never trust wort sitting for a month. It's impossible, under home brewing conditions, to sterilize it. Bacteria would take over.
2. It seems many brewers keep opened packets of yeast for later use, but Danstar doesn't recommend it. From their website, "Once a pack is open it is recommended to use the yeast as quickly as possible." Your decision if you decide to proceed.
3. Vacuum sealing and freezing - interesting. Conceivably, this might make it feasible to store for a month, but I couldn't say. If so, that would change the answer to #1.

Welcome to the forum.

Wort is an excellent medium for growing bacteria or mold. Freezing it is the only viable way to store it for a month. Thaw it quickly on the day you intend to do the next brew so it doesn't have time to grow anything and make sure to heat it to kill off anything that might have gotten a start. Bringing it to a boil is good but even just to 160F is sufficient.

Danstar doesn't recommend storing open packets and neither would I if I were making money off selling yeast. I sometimes have half a packet left from a batch that stays in my refrigerator for up to 6 months. It works out fine.

I think the OP is talking about storing half of the can of extract not the wort. But you still have to worry about contamination by bacteria.

I would freeze it. vacuum packed if possible.

The yeast I would tape the package closed, put it in a ziplock bag, squeeze out the air and keep in the fridge.

Thanks all - I’m not looking at storing the yeast, I’m thinking about using the whole supplied yeast packet for the first half and purchasing another packet for the second half.

Back