Splitting a 5 gal extract kit to brew 2 1/2 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diznutz129

Reaction score
I have brewed a number of one gal extract kits, with success (according to my taste). I recently purchased a 5 gal Brewers Best Octoberfest extract kit. Question is can I just split the kit ingredients and brew 2 1/2 gal batches. Thanks.

I agree. A good scale for the extract, grain and a way to store it.
Edit: I would just use most or all of the yeast pack and buy a new one for a couple of bucks when you make the second half.

I agree. A good scale for the extract, grain and a way to store it.
Edit: I would just use most or all of the yeast pack and buy a new one for a couple of bucks when you make the second half.

I've stored opened dry yeast packs in my refrigerator for quite while, longer than the extract will stay good for. Fold the top over and tape or use a paper clip to keep it closed.

Measure? Who does that. I estimate where I think half would be and dump that much. The rest does the next batch. Never had a problem, no stalling, no lack of fermentation.
I do measure but I'm glad not measuring works out for you. Though I've never made a half recipe, I don't think I could live with myself if the remaining yeast wasn't either 5.5g or 5g, depending. Same with hops if the recipe splits a pack.
I buy double batches often and still pull out the scale, always for the steeping grains and the hops if needed.

Well split the kit in half, yes I measured all but the pitch, where I used the whole packet. In the conical and fermenting just fine. Thanks everyone.

Back