Split primary grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnubrewer

Reaction score
Hi, I seen beer recipes that use two primary grains split 50/50. I was wondering how it would affect flavor/taste of the beer. I want to do a basic pale ale with Belgian/French yeast. Here is my grain bill:

2row 40.9%
Pilsner 40.9%
Munich 9.1%
C-40 4.5%
Special roast 4.5%

I have all the grains I need, just need input if it worth doing 50/50 split. I will be brewing tomorrow Sunday :) Thanks

They effect depends a bit on the beer. For example if you were making a czech pilsner, or even something like a tripel, you would likely want all pilsner malt and changes in base malt might make a big difference. Other examples might be a style where you want a very characteristic flavor from the base malt - say an English ale that calls for all maris otter base. With a lot of styles though it's perfectly fine to swap in and out base malts or use a mix - there might be subtle differences you can pick out side by side but it's not detrimental to the beer.

While it may be traditional to use pilsner and/or a Belgian pale ale malt in a beer like this, IMO what you are planning would be fine. The yeast is probably going to be the star here anyway, and with the other specialty malts I don't know that it's going to make a big difference from using all pilsner. The special roast seems a little out of place to me, though I haven't actually used it before so take that with a grain of salt.

Back