Splashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAV3

Reaction score
I read all about not splashing the beer when bottling because of ... oxidation? What exactly does oxidation do? My bottling wand worked fine for the first kit i made and bottling my second kit the wand did not work anymore. so i was forced to just run beer through the tube into the bottles but it kind of made like a head and i had to overflow the foam to get the bottles full. Any idea what will happen?

keep a spare bottling wand on hand...they are only a few dollars.

Your wand may be plugged up if not properly cleaned. I soak mine in oxy-clean solution in the bottling bucket for an hour or two right after bottling. Then rinse everything well with warm/hot water.

You definitely want one of these because that "head" you formed during bottling signifies the beer was mixed with lots of oxygen. It will get stale rather quickly I would assume. After maybe 2-3 months you will likely see the flavor take a turn for the worse. Good news is it takes some time so drink up. Don't dump it, that would be a shame. And fix that wand for your next batch (or buy another one).

don't pour it out...it will probably be fine. i've never had a problem, so i'm just going off what i've heard from others, but my guess is, as with everything else in homebrewing, it'll probably be fine. and don't dump.

Did you bottle with a tube in the bottle? So that you're filling from the bottom of the bottle up?

how much time are we talking about here? Should i pour it out?

Unless it tastes bad, don't pour it out. If the oxygen is introduced at bottling the yeast should use most of that up. If you're that worried about it, just drink em faster. Back when I was bottling I barely had enough patience to let them carbonate let alone sit around long enough to develop off flavors from oxidation.

I've introduced plenty of air into my previous batches due to my noobiness and seem to have avoided the wet cardboard taste for now. I think we're talking a significant amount of oxygen here before the taste really becomes prevalent.

You'll probably want to get a new wand though if this one has kicked it. The spring-tips work really well in my experience.

I am pretty sure it wont be here in 2-3 months, i like to drink my beer not age it. hahajk
Thanks for all the advice.

DAV3 said:
Yeah i filled from the bottom up.

Then you're fine!

I initially thought you were filling just from the spout. I did that once and got the wet cardboard taste, but it didn't develop for months and months. Anyway, yours should be just fine. Cheers!

I doubt it will be a problem. I was so curious about this I intentionally oxidized some before bottling to different degrees just to get an idea of what oxidized beer tastes like. The ones I didn't shake too much ended up nearly identical to the non-shaken ones, although it's hard to say because I knew I was "supposed" to taste something. The one I shook the crap out of had a bad taste to it, not sure If I'd describe it as wet cardboard though. I filled the bottle about halfway, held the cap on top and shook the crap out of it and repeated several times. Anybody else do stuff like this??

Krane said:
I doubt it will be a problem. I was so curious about this I intentionally oxidized some before bottling to different degrees just to get an idea of what oxidized beer tastes like. The ones I didn't shake too much ended up nearly identical to the non-shaken ones, although it's hard to say because I knew I was "supposed" to taste something. The one I shook the crap out of had a bad taste to it, not sure If I'd describe it as wet cardboard though. I filled the bottle about halfway, held the cap on top and shook the crap out of it and repeated several times. Anybody else do stuff like this??

This makes me want to cry lol

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

My bottling wand worked fine for the first kit i made and bottling my second kit the wand did not work anymore.

Assuming it's similar to the one I have here, but, did you dismantle the bottling wand after the first time you used it?? Pull the end piece away from the plastic tube and there's the outer casing, a spring and a plunger with an "O" ring.

Always a good idea to dismantle and clean really well to ensure no organic matter left to fester 'til next bottling time. If you only sanitise before bottling it's not going to be completely clean/sanitised and your beer might develop some kind of off flavour.

upon closer inspection... it looks like the spring is missing.

I have one with a spring and one without. Both work fine. The pressure of flowing beer should be enough to close the valve. I would test it first though if it came with one and doesn't have one now though.

I rinse mine out well as soon as I'm done bottling with it. Before using it again,I pull the valve part off the tube & soak in PBW & rinse/re-install. I sanitize it with starsan right before use.

I was thinking about this the other day - unless the damage is done immediately, the re-fermentation (carbonation) in the bottle should consume the oxygen

Back