Spike Cyber Monday order disappointment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I'm posting to ask if this sort of quality is normal of Spike Brewing. I received the kettle I ordered on Cyber Monday and it seriously appears to be one of their "Bargain Cave" blemished products. The kettle I received has a big ding in the kettle wall that shows through to the outside, a smaller ding that only shows on the inside, a burr on the inside that is about 2.5" long that is rough to the tough (ie. not polished and likely to rust), rough scratches between the ports, and black soot on the underside of the kettle lid where the handle was welded.

I could live with the dings and scratches for a credit of some form but the inside burr is the deal breaker. Now I have to send this back, which is extremely inconvenient due to size/weight, not having a car, and working Monday-Friday. I am extremely disappointed in Spike for what I received. I've emailed them and am waiting to hear back. I've attached some pictures. Have any other Spike owners received products in this shape?

20181201_170757.jpg
20181201_170818.jpg

20181201_172105.jpg
20181201_172907.jpg

20181201_172931.jpg
20181201_173122.jpg

20181201_173133.jpg

Rev.

Been in contact with Spike Brewing? In the past I found them most helpful and ready/willing to rectify any problem.

I emailed them so will have to wait to hear back, they say within 24 hours. I'm sure they'll exchange it, just really bummed about this. I have two batches of ingredients coming and was planning on brewing both of them this weekend with the kettle.

Rev.

I too would be bummed. In my dealings with Spike, when I built my electric brewery, I had some component problems that they worked quickly to resolve. No hassles, no finger pointing, etc.

The condition of the kettle is baffling.

Last edited:
*Update - Irene from Spike emailed back and they offered to send a replacement out tomorrow and email a return label for the current kettle. She said she also saw this thread and didn't want the exchange to impact this upcoming weekends dual brew days and said to go ahead and use the current kettle and send it back after. That is super awesome of them! They offered another option and that would be a $50 gift card if I wanted to keep the kettle but the inside burr is my biggest concern as the scratches are deep in the metal and I don't know if that would cause rusting or metal corrosion or something.

Anyway, so my brew days will proceed ahead with this spike kettle which is great as I ordered liquid yeast for both batches. Thanks to Spike for promptly responding and offering to replace the kettle and cover the return shipping!

Rev.

That's good to hear. Everybody screws up from time to time, and errors are probably more frequent during crazy volume periods like with this cyber monday sale.

What's important is how a vendor handles their mistakes, and the exemplary response you received actually seems to be par for the course for Spike, based on what I've seen in other instances.

I received my kettle from them a few weeks before and there were no quality issues. Their service has been great as well.

When I got my kettle from Spike (couple years ago) the ports had exited the cardboard carton, so to speak...as in the shipping was rough.

I wrote them about it--there was no damage, but I thought they may want to know. They said they had issues with shippers from time to time slamming the boxes around, and given the time of year, maybe that's some of what happened.

They do have good customer service, and they're taking care of you, which I would have expected.

Received my replacement kettle today, it's flawless! Came quicker than expected. Haven't had a chance to clean it yet but you can clearly see the difference from the attached pics. Proper review to follow once I brew with it. Was shooting for this weekend but it's looking like I'm going to have to postpone till next weekend as I have to help my girlfriend at her new apartment.

Thanks so much to Spike Brewing for providing such excellent customer service and promptly working to resolve this issue. I couldn't have asked for better service!

Rev.

20181206_205814.jpg
20181206_205904.jpg

I also just received my Cyber Monday custom Spike kettles. I am building a K-RIMS system with 15 gallon kettles and one of the two kettles had an incorrect port and the port was also little crooked. The same kettle had a dent in the side similar to the OP. They offered up a $75 gift card for the mistake and assured me the wrong port and the dent would not affect functionality of the kettle. I am waiting on a response from Spike. While I agree with their statement about functionality, I requested to just get a replacement that is correct per the build sheet. Am I wrong for asking for a new kettle? Will update when I hear back.

(The wrong port is the top center port that is 1/2 NPT threads, It should have been the short port for a thermometer.)

IMG_6711.jpg
IMG_6712.jpg
IMG_6713.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg

I also just received my Cyber Monday custom Spike kettles. I am building a K-RIMS system with 15 gallon kettles and one of the two kettles had an incorrect port and the port was also little crooked. The same kettle had a dent in the side similar to the OP. They offered up a $75 gift card for the mistake and assured me the wrong port and the dent would not affect functionality of the kettle. I am waiting on a response from Spike. While I agree with their statement about functionality, I requested to just get a replacement that is correct per the build sheet. Am I wrong for asking for a new kettle? Will update when I hear back.

(The wrong port is the top center port that is 1/2 NPT threads, It should have been the short port for a thermometer.)

Looks like it got a little dinged up in shipping on the way to you. For $75 off I would take that in a heart beat. You can easily straighten that fitting. Screw in a valve or something and pull on it a bit.

Looks like it got a little dinged up in shipping on the way to you. For $75 off I would take that in a heart beat. You can easily straighten that fitting. Screw in a valve or something and pull on it a bit.

The ding has an abrasion on the outside and the boxes were perfect, no damage, so I believe it occurred before it got shipped. As far as the crooked fitting, I don’t think it could be straightened without bending the wall of the kettle to make the fitting perpendicular. The ding I can really look past it is the incorrect fitting and it being crooked that bothers me the most. For this price range anyway.

The ding has an abrasion on the outside and the boxes were perfect, no damage, so I believe it occurred before it got shipped. As far as the crooked fitting, I don’t think it could be straightened without bending the wall of the kettle to make the fitting perpendicular. The ding I can really look past it is the incorrect fitting and it being crooked that bothers me the most. For this price range anyway.

Sorry I wasn't saying maybe you can straighten it, I was saying you can easily straighten it. I've done it before. Give it a try. Get something that sticks out 4" or so (like a valve). It won't take much force. As for the incorrect fitting the thermometer will screw directly into the fitting same as a half fitting. I'd take the $75 all day but it sounds like you have your mind made up.

As much as these kettles cost, and the fact that one of these kettles should last a life time, I would get the correct kettle that you ordered. $75 is nothing in the grand scheme of how much all this stuff cost. Just my opinion.

Sorry I wasn't saying maybe you can straighten it, I was saying you can easily straighten it. I've done it before. Give it a try. Get something that sticks out 4" or so (like a valve). It won't take much force. As for the incorrect fitting the thermometer will screw directly into the fitting same as a half fitting. I'd take the $75 all day but it sounds like you have your mind made up.

In fairness, when you spend a pretty penny on a new item and expect to be perfect, and it's not, it's a big disappointment.

I've got a spike kettle and a CF10 fermenter, and I know how I would have felt if they were not perfect out of the boxes.

If I were Joseph, I'd get it returned and get it done right. Joseph, a month from now, what are you going to wish you had done? I'll bet it's have the kettle you expected. Work with Spike; they'll make it right.

Am I wrong for asking for a new kettle?

Not in the slightest! You paid for a product that should arrive in non-damaged condition. I still suspect that they might've thought they can offload some dent and scratch with the Cyber Monday sale, but they are definitely willing to make it right. They did for me and I am VERY happy with the replacement kettle. $75 isn't worth it as it will likely bug you every time you use it.

Rev.

I would also recommend checking the volume markings for accuracy. This became an issue with my SS kettle. Now that I’ve switched to spike I’m gonna check these as well. I also purchased the turn key 15 gallon system minus panel and pumps. Thanks for posting this I’ll need to check for imperfections as well

*Update*

Irene from Spike Brewing got back to me and said they would re-produce the kettle and have it in the mail by the end of the week. I will post an update when the new kettle arrives.

On another note I do want to give Spike Brewing customer service a huge shout out. Not only for this current issue, but prior to my custom order I have submitted a TON of questions to make sure I knew exactly what I was getting when I ordered my custom kettles among other questions on other products and ideas. Their team was extremely understanding and prompt to get all my questions answered even before I had made a significant order.

Latest posts

Back