Spike CF5 vs CF10 for 5 gallon batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vibroluxious

Reaction score
I have settled on buying a Spike CF5 or CF10 Unitank. Spike shows the CF5 as best suited to 2.5 to 5 gallon batches and the CF10 for 5 to 10 gallon batches. I have the capacity to brew 10 gallon batches but in the past four years, I have only brewed four 10 gallon batches and dozens of 5 gallon batches. I typically put 6 gallons of clear wort into my buckets or carboys so that I can transfer 5 gallons of clear beer into a keg at the end. I am concerned about having a ton of head space in the top of the CF 10 if only doing 5 gallon batches. The extra head space would be nice to have though for aggressive fermentations. I am also concerned about cooling efficiency from the chilling coil as half of it would be in the air and not submerged in wort. My guess is the temps will be easier to control in the CF5 as the coil would be fully submerged.
Does anyone who currently owns a CF10 wish they had gotten the CF5 instead?

I just had same decision to make and sent with the cf5. I just really don't have a desire to move to 10 gallon batches anytime soon and the cf5 is smaller and you won't to move the themowell around.

I just had same decision to make and sent with the cf5. I just really don't have a desire to move to 10 gallon batches anytime soon and the cf5 is smaller and you won't to move the themowell around.
Pretty much the decision I am facing. The thermowell issue is easy enough to get around. I'm more concerned about excess head space and temp control...

According to Spike’s information, the coil will “touches” 3.5 gal of 5 gal. FIY, I brew 5gallon and use a fridge as “glycol” chiller by bending the plate into “glycol”. I don’t use glycol but plain water, so the chilling water can only as low as 32F. I can cold crash the beer to 41F.

I’m using the CF10 for 5 gallon batches and have been very happy with it. Usually I put 6 gallons into the fermenter. Temp control has worked just fine. The 5 wasn’t available when I bought mine in July.

I’m using the CF10 for 5 gallon batches and have been very happy with it. Usually I put 6 gallons into the fermenter. Temp control has worked just fine. The 5 wasn’t available when I bought mine in July.
If you could go back in time and buy the CF5 instead, would you?

Since you *can* brew 10G batches and the CF10 *can* do 5G, I'd go with the CF10. There isnt that much of a price difference between the two plus you will still be able to ferment 10G if you want. Also, its nice to be able to put more wort in than your batch size to compensate for losses due to dumping trub/yeast. Not to mention, being able to leave a bit behind to ensure clear beer only goes into your keg or bottling bucket.

The extra headspace wont be an issue. There is plenty of CO2 that will be produced. I ferment 10G batches in my half barrel conical all the time. Not dealing with blowoff tubes is a pretty awesome perk.

If you could go back in time and buy the CF5 instead, would you?
If I had the option then, I would have bought the CF5, but now that I have the CF10, I like having the option of going big if I want (and my inventory gets low). But so far I haven’t.

The other nice thing with the CF10 - I’ve never had a fermentation overflow into my StarSan reservoir. This was a routine issue in my SS Brewtech stainless bucket.

If I had the option then, I would have bought the CF5, but now that I have the CF10, I like having the option of going big if I want (and my inventory gets low). But so far I haven’t.
You tell me this after I just ordered the CF10?!??!
Just kidding. I think the CF10 will better suit my needs. I do brew some big beers from time to time that have giant krausens and need daily blow off tube attention. Having the extra head space will be a joy in that regard.

You tell me this after I just ordered the CF10?!??!
Just kidding. I think the CF10 will better suit my needs. I do brew some big beers from time to time that have giant krausens and need daily blow off tube attention. Having the extra head space will be a joy in that regard.

Don't think you can really go wrong with either. Mine just came today! Super pumped to use it this weekend.

But yeah...RIP wallet.

I've had the same question too. also, do you still need blow off tubing for the cf5?

As Spike Brewing shows on their web page "-1.5" TC port -Use with blow off or air lock, blow off cane". I use their 1.5" TC Blow Off Cane on my CF10.

I've had the same question too. also, do you still need blow off tubing for the cf5?
The five brews I have done in my cf5 I used the barbed TC fitting then switched to the gas manifold. I could probably just use the gas manifold with a blow off attached throughout.

I'm going to add to this a bit. I have the CF10. I brew mostly 5-gallon batches, and it does just fine with them. If you look at the pricing structure, there's only a $100 bump in price ($525-625) when you go from the 5-gallon to the 10-gallon. As long as you have a way to temp control it, I find it difficult to defend the 5-gallon as the decision.

However--I needed the temp control kit which included the heat mat. That adds quite a bit to the cost. If you can get a refrigerator in which the CF-5 fits, then a simple heat mat like a fermwrap or reptile mat plus an Inkbird would suffice, drastically reducing the cost of temp control.

But that's about the only advantage I can see to the CF-5 over the CF-10.

As Spike Brewing shows on their web page "-1.5" TC port -Use with blow off or air lock, blow off cane". I use their 1.5" TC Blow Off Cane on my CF10.
thank you for the information, I hope to start homebrewing soon, and I wanted to make sure I had as much info as possible before I get started.

Looking at the same dilemma...get another CF-5 (and do the occasional 10-gal batch using both CF-5s), or get a CF-10. Does anyone have a size comparison with them next to each other? The CF-5 isn't that big, but I am wondering if the CF-10 is a leviathan in comparison.

For those that bought the CF10 mainly for 5 gal batches, any new thoughts on this? I'm getting close to pull the trigger on one of them. I have the capacity to brew 10 gal but have never done so. I like the idea of being able to do 10gal if I ever wanted to, but don't currently have plans to do so.

I don't think you will regret having the flexibility with 5 or 10 gallons. I have a CF15 and am diacetyl resting a 5ish gallon lager right now in it.

Both the CF10 and CF15 are identical in horizontal footprint. And their footprint would require me to modify the door to my upright freezer while orientating the thing where the dump and racking valves were on an angle.

This is pretty much the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one of these. I'd need to address my ferm chamber situation too. Not ready to do that yet. What I've got now (1/2 Barrell SS Brewtech Chronical BME) isnt as awesome as the Spike's but its not broken. But I really want a Spike CF10 or CF15.. :|

For those that bought the CF10 mainly for 5 gal batches, any new thoughts on this? I'm getting close to pull the trigger on one of them. I have the capacity to brew 10 gal but have never done so. I like the idea of being able to do 10gal if I ever wanted to, but don't currently have plans to do so.
In the exact, same place as you...should I get another CF-5, or get the CF-10 for my second fermentor given that most of my brew sessions are 5.3 gallons. Is cooling coil performance lower with the CF-10 and only 5.3 gallons inside?

In the exact, same place as you...should I get another CF-5, or get the CF-10 for my second fermentor given that most of my brew sessions are 5.3 gallons. Is cooling coil performance lower with the CF-10 and only 5.3 gallons inside?
Coil performance I think would be fine. I just ran a 5ish gallon batch through my CF15 at 52 ambient temp of 70. Had zero troubles maintaining the temp.

I'm thinking of getting a second CF15 down the road.

Yeah, that's a tough call. I suppose if you already have a CF5, the benefit would then be that you could make a large batch of wort, and then play around with different yeast/dry hops/temps, etc. with another CF5. A CF10 would still give you that flexibility, plus the ability to brew a single large, identical batch. I'm really leaning towards the CF10 for flexibility now

Back