Spike cf10 racking arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody s

Reaction score
I'm considering buying the cf10 with thier racking arm, I am curious how much beer this racking arm leaves behind or should I consider a different racking arm

Thank you,
Cody

See page 2. https://f.hubspotusercontent20.net/hubfs/7288227/Conical Cutaway Drawings.pdf
My question is... does the .6 gallons include the liquid in the elbow or is it just to the bottom of the conical. The elbow is illustrated in the drawing so I assume it's included.

I've never measured so I can't say. However I installed a sight glass on the bottom, then a valve, then the elbow. Makes it very easy to do a controlled trub dump of no more than the volume of the elbow, which usually all I need. Then I'll stick a bucket under and pull the cap on the elbow and use a sprayer of sanitizer to rinse it out good. I bet the elbow holds upward of a pint.

I use their racking arm on my CF5, my (now sold) Flex Plus and will on my new CF10. I like that I can control what is going into the keg and get every bit of good beer. If it starts coming out cloudy as you twist the arm, stop.

I've never measured a variance with vs without it, but I like the option.

Half gallon seems like a lot considering I have already dumped the trub. Anyone know if other racking arms will work? I assume they will

Half gallon seems like a lot considering I have already dumped the trub. Anyone know if other racking arms will work? I assume they will
I don't think it's a half gallon. 1/4 maybe below the arm and that is with a sight glass. If its a big miss, adjust your losses in your profile and accomodate with a couple more dollars in grain to batch size.

I've mostly stopped doing that. If the sight glass looks like its packed with trub late in the evening of a brew day I dump that. I don't dump again until after the transfer. If it was something that was going to condition in the fermenter beyond a couple weeks I might change my mind but also more than likely I'd transfer to a keg and condition there to free up the ferementer.

I'm considering buying the cf10 with thier racking arm, I am curious how much beer this racking arm leaves behind or should I consider a different racking arm

Thank you,
Cody
There was a long discussion a few months ago you might want to check out. "Spike Conical - observations and best practices". Post #2882 had a picture of the racking arm and sample port that might be helpful. Alot of good info too on the CF10 if you need some help deciding. I've owned one for a few years now and love it. I don't use a racking arm though. Good Luck Cody!

Back