Spicy Food Aftereffect Cure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrupled

Reaction score
For much of my life, I've regularly eaten spicy food. The older I became, the more I enjoyed the intensity of the burn as I ate it; but the next day I hated myself when dealing with the fire $#!+$. Every time I would eat spicy food, I vowed to keep myself in check the next time I was tempted. I have always failed. In my early 30s, I started taking Metamucil to for its various health benefits and found a special unreported bonus "indication for use"...prevention of the next-day burn. It works wonderfully but has the limitation of requiring co-consumption to be effective. Tonight, I'm unfortunately again hating myself for not reaping these benefits since I was out and without my miracle drug when I ate my hot peppers and guzzled down hot sauce.

To sum up:

Hot peppers and hot sauce are good.

Hot peppers and hot sauce are even better with Metamucil.

I've gotten heartburn and some gurgle guts from spicy food, but never the burning butt. Milk helps me. Sometimes Rolaids or Tums.

I live for spicy food. I, too, have recently noticed a decline in the "quality of life" per say, the following day... Most of the time (99%) this spicy food is consumed with copious amounts of beer. This doesnt help. The only saving grace I can think of is having a 2 yr old. Plenty of baby wipes

When I was at the NHC last year, we were at Founders and I had their spicy sandwhich (The Dirty Bastard maybe). I asked the server if it was typical hot, or actually hot. He said it was loaded with peppers and sauce, bla bla bla, it was hot. He then proceeded to tell me if I ate one of the chipotle peppers whole he would buy me a pint, bc a few people tried it recently and failed. Easiest beer ever earned. I even told him I marinate chicken in chilpotle peppers with adobo sauce on a weekly basis.

The next day though, I had to leave a conference early, and spend a good part of an hour in the can... It was horrible. People were even commenting out loud...

I hate my butt. I punish it regularly with spicy Asian food and Mexican on occasion. gurgles have non place in my Iron Gut, but the spice punishes my White Bread Butt.

It's all about the training :D

My best friend and I take our Spousal Units out to the local Mexican restaurant a couple times a month and terrorize the women by taking turns dousing the salsa with hot sauce until it's pretty much weapons grade. Then we hit that bowl hard to see who caves first (while the women call the waiter for their own bowl :eek:)

Never have had much problem with The Day After. Sure, I know something packing heat is passing through, but even in my mid-sixties it's never been a big deal...

Cheers! ;)

I've only had the next day burn once. If I remember correctly, it was a curry.

I'm pretty much immune to the heart burn due to a steady intake if Prilosec. It doesn't matter what I eat, if I don't take the Prilosec, I have heart burn. When I'm taking it, nothing gives me heart burn.

I've probably built up a good resistance to the butt burn because I'm lactose intolerant and have a major custard & ice cream addiction.

Speaking of spicy food, conversation I just had with my wife (we are on vacation in Phoenix):

SWMBO: Where do you want to go for dinner? Burgers & Wine or Mexican?

Me: How authentic is the Mexican? Is it Mexican food like Mexicans make food or Mexican food like my Sweedish grandmother made Mexican food? Because I can get plenty of white-people Mexican food at home.

SWMBO: *stares at me*

Me: I don't mean OUR home. I mean restaurants in the suburbs of Salt Lake.

SWMBO: Good, because I was about to hit you with my shoe. Let's get burgers & wine.

Latest posts

Back