Spicing my Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale Question/Opinions (Yuri???)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
Last year I made a Mr. Beer recipe when that is all I had to brew with. It was actually a hit with the family, so this year I'm an All-Grain brewer and did Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin ale. It seems that the Mr. Beer recipe was much more spiced than Yuri's. In fact, check this out and keep in mind Mr. Beer recipes are just over 2 gallons.

Using the sanitized measuring cup, place 4 cups of water into a clean 3-quart pot and bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Add 1/2 cups of brown sugar, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Stir to mix well.

If I converted that to my 5 gallon batch that would be 1.25 cups of brown sugar (which I'm too late for, as this is 2 weeks in the primary now), 5 tsp of ground cinnamon and 1.25 tsp of nutmeg.

Doesn't this seem like too much spicing??? I'm trying to balance what I made this year with Yuri's recipe which is 1-1/2 tsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice only. How does everyone who's made the Thunderstruck version like the spicing? I remember there was something weird with the Mr. Beer recipe. The beer started to taste awful as you got to the bottom of the glass. It may have been the spices settling to the bottom, since that was the beginning of my brewing career and I probably rushed it.

Back