Spice Tincture Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddyMar3

Reaction score
Getting geared up to brew my second pumpkin beer of the year and I'm leaning towards a split between boiling half the spices in the last 5 minutes and putting the other half into a tincture to be added at bottling. I have a fifth of everclear that I use for making other tinctures and would prefer not to have to buy vodka or rum just to make a 1 oz tincture. I don't drink liquor typically so I don't have those sitting around and have no need for the rest of the bottle.

So with that said, is there any reason I can't just use the grain alcohol I have on hand for making the tincture? Or would the increased solvent properties of using 98% alcohol extract tannins or other unwanted bitterness from the spice (if that is even possible)?

Out of curiousity - Does grain alcohol for a tincture work well, say compared to Vodka?

Does Grain have little impact on flavor?

Does the extra alcohol absorb the spice flavor better than Vodka (assuming the same volume of liquid)?

The reason I ask is I've always used Vodka and never thought about All Grain. But for all I know All Grain is better (or not).

All I can say for sure is that it is more efficient than vodka for making herbal tinctures. My thinking is that the stronger solvent properties of everclear vs. vodka would make it a better medium for any tincture. I'm just afraid it will pull some unwanted astringent flavors from the spices. Guess I could experiment with my other pumpkin beer by just dropping some in a glass.

I use Everclear to make a tincture for my holiday beer. I use Juniper, caraway and a touch of rosemary. No harshness from these ingredients. You can always taste your tincture before you add it!

Everclear and other grain alcohol are more efficient than vodka. If your afraid of harsh flavors pure lemon extract is a common substitute and is like 99% alcohol. That is from reading and experience with herbal extracts made with alcohol.

Back