Spice Grinder = Grain Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeksc07

Reaction score
I've got a couple of fairly cheap electric spice grinder that I use for spices and coffee. Does anyone think I'd be able to use something like that instead of a grain mill when I switch over to all-grain?
EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm working with a one gallon kit right now to make sure I want to stick with home brewing before I invest in a larger set up.

I think it depends on how fine you need to grind. I have a bunch of antique grinding mills (metal burrs) that I am considering, but I have no experience in this. I have a bunch of electric coffee grinders also that can grind quite course.

Doubtful they would work for what you need, if you are doing a mash tun/sparging version of all grain. It's going to chop and powder the grain pretty finely, not leaving enough intact hulls to create a filter bed and more than likely you'll end up with a stuck sparge, without adding a lot of rice hulls.

Brew in bag people might want to chime in though, I don't think intact hulls matter as much for that method, but I've never done it.

The crush def seems to matter,even with biab. It doesn't dough ball up as much with a proper crush vs grinders,food processors & the like. I was using a mini food processor that even on 2-3 2 second pulses,gave too much floury consistency. Then I got my barley mill grain crusher. At the factory setting of .039" it gives just the right crush.
now,for drying spent grains to store for baking,those lil grinders are great for making flour out of them. here's a link to the spent grain chef; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/ I use a Mr Coffee burr grinder on the espresso setting to get a sort of medium fine flour.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I think I'll just go with an affordable grain mill since the cost isn't all that much more than a new grinder would have been.

Back