Spent grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister in law has chickens so I will be saving some for myself to make bread then give the rest to her. I am just going to freeze it in ziplock bags

1. I tried putting them out for the squirrels, birds, raccoons, opossums, vermin, etc. That didn't work. No one wants this #*%).

2. I eventually just spread it over my lawn as a mulch. No harm done.

Mine goes in the trash. It's spent grain....it can compost at the dump. It's the circle of life...who am I to interfere with that?

I do use some to make beer treats for the weiner dog, but most go to the dump.

Tried dumping them in my back yard. Worked fine this winter. Now that days are hitting 80-90, smells like death. Going to have to spread them out and hope they dry. Too lazy to cook with them.

If you eat eggs, it literally couldn't be easier. Find someone who will come pick up the grain and bring you eggs in return. You don't even have to carry them to the trash and dump them, just set them outside your door and let the other guy do the rest. PLUS, you're getting PAID to throw them away, so to speak...

DrunkleJon said:
If only there were more people who raised chickens in the DC-Metro area...

Right!?! I'm in the Los Angeles area and I don't think anyone in a 30 mile radius raises chickens.

I dumped about 20lbs on my tree last night. I tried using aseed spreader just to see if it would work, but the grains were to wet and heavy to really churn out of the spreader. I'd be composting that batch if my composter weren't already filled with 40lbs or so of grain and other matter.

Maybe us northern virginians should put together a combination chicken and hop co-op?

I usually just spread them across my yard. But after reading this, I'm definitely going to see if I can get some eggs. Don't fail me now craigslist!

You guys in metro areas, just post a CL ad. What's that take, 20 seconds? If you get no responses, so be it. Nowadays there are people who commute from out of town and are nearly desperate for quality chicken feed. Your grain will produce several dozen eggs, so they're more than happy to trade you for some.

So tell me again, do we have to dry it before we give it to the chicken people?

This would be up to you and the farmer to decide. What I set up with my farmer is that I would freeze it for him, since I have freezer space for it, and it could be several days before he could pick it up. Here is info on using spent grain as livestock feed, which you can use for your own knowledge, or to use in your Craigslist ad. http://www.feedipedia.org/node/74 Also, don't limit yourselves to eggs, it makes great feed for all livestock. Maybe you can set up a bacon trade. :ban:

This would be up to you and the farmer to decide. What I set up with my farmer is that I would freeze it for him, since I have freezer space for it, and it could be several days before he could pick it up. Here is info on using spent grain as livestock feed, which you can use for your own knowledge, or to use in your Craigslist ad. http://www.feedipedia.org/node/74 Also, don't limit yourselves to eggs, it makes great feed for all livestock. Maybe you can set up a bacon trade. :ban:

I've been wondering the same thing - I gave mine to my brother for his chickens, but he said they wouldn't touch them. I'm wondering if the grains had already started to go bad, since they were still wet. (Not sure how long he waited until trying to feed it to them...)

I took a look at the link on the nutritive info on brewer's grains. It looks like drying is a good idea if they aren't going to be eaten immediately. I imagine that those of you who cook with them also need to dry them before milling them finer?

So my next question is: how do you dry that much grain? I usually end up with a Homer-bucket full of (very) wet grain. Do you just spread them out on a tarp somewhere, or is there a better way?

I've been wondering the same thing - I gave mine to my brother for his chickens, but he said they wouldn't touch them. I'm wondering if the grains had already started to go bad, since they were still wet. (Not sure how long he waited until trying to feed it to them...)

I took a look at the link on the nutritive info on brewer's grains. It looks like drying is a good idea if they aren't going to be eaten immediately. I imagine that those of you who cook with them also need to dry them before milling them finer?

So my next question is: how do you dry that much grain? I usually end up with a Homer-bucket full of (very) wet grain. Do you just spread them out on a tarp somewhere, or is there a better way?

Check out http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/ They seem to advocate low temperature in the oven sprad thin. or maybe the Alton Brown box fan with furnace filters technique may work.

Dog treats and compost.

As far as it being bad for dogs I don't think that is always the case. One of our dogs does have a grain allergy and we have to buy grain free dog food. She can however eat the spent grain treats because they are small and given in moderation. Hopefully you aren't giving your dog as many treats as you would dog food.

Not to hijack, but in relation to all the dog treat talk:

The most reliable thing I've found with dogs and diets is to look at how far down on the evolutionary tree they are from their ancestors. More recent breeds (labrahuskagermadoodle) are going to fare much better with grain and processed food stuffs than more evolutionary conserved breeds (huskies, german sheapards, rotties) When compared to older breeds, the evolutionarily recent breeds simply have a more diverse genetic set, and therefore more diverse digestive enzyme set, with which to tackle our omniverous diets.

I know that if I give my husky spent grains, I now have 2 messes to clean up.

Practically all dog foods are based on grains. However, if you make dog treats, bake them for a LONG LONG LONG time. Really get them hard as a rock. If not, they WILL turn moldy in a couple weeks. BTDT. I even baked mine for way longer than the recipe called for, but still turned to mold in a few weeks.

Practically all dog foods are based on grains. However, if you make dog treats, bake them for a LONG LONG LONG time. Really get them hard as a rock. If not, they WILL turn moldy in a couple weeks. BTDT. I even baked mine for way longer than the recipe called for, but still turned to mold in a few weeks.

This proves that most commercial treats are loaded with nasty preservatives.

Made bread, came out very very good. Will do this again.

image.jpg

My SWMBO uses my spent grains in bread, especially her Irish Soda bread, which is just incredible... and we make dog treats. :)

Oooo irish soda bread! Would your SWMBO be willing to share the recipe I just made plain grain bread but this sounds better!

The SWMBO's Irish Soda Bread with spent grains.. this load is using grains from a batch of porter I'd made.. makes for a very "dark", rich bread.

IMG_20130608_190817_340[1].jpg

IMG_20130608_190844_798[1].jpg

IMG_20130608_190857_581[1].jpg

The SWMBO's Irish soda bread with spent grains:

(note: It is of note, that these recipes come from a time when yeast was not freely commercially available. The action of the soda served as a more readily available leavening agent. Although many recipes exist with additional ingredients added in, the simpler recipes such as this one are more authentic to the time period as many ordinary Celts would not have had access to such rich ingredients regularly. Irish soda bread is a daily item, not one reserved for special gatherings.

Soda bread nowadays often has a lot of additions such as sweeteners, fruits, etc that simply would not have been available at the time and place of its origination. It is dense and heavy and filling and quite good without the additions that have happened over time.)

This is just a base recipe...It does not matter what sort of flour you use, unlike yeasted bread the amount of glutenization is unimportant so this is a great bread to make with all whole wheat flour. The amount of spent grain that is added can be manipulated up and down as long as the dough holds together well enough.

This recipe makes two loaves. If you want to just make one, reduce the flour/grain/buttermilk but leave the soda and salt at the current proportions.

Ingredients:
2 1/2-3 cups of flour
1-2 cups spent grain
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly grease and flour a cake pan or alternately this bread is fantastic when cooked in a cast iron dutch oven but i would lower the temp to about 400 for that.

In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape) (i just get my hands in there and mix it together until it is a nice dough, adding a little flour or buttermilk as needed....it should be slightly sticky.

Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough. (the cross in the top allows the steam to escape...just cut down a quarter inch or so. I sometimes brush it with a little buttermilk and sprinkle it with some steel cut oats...makes it pretty :)

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes reducing the temperature to about 350 at this time.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped to show it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.

The SWMBO's Irish soda bread with spent grains:

Ingredients:
2 1/2-3 cups of flour
1-2 cups spent grain
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly grease and flour a cake pan or alternately this bread is fantastic when cooked in a cast iron dutch oven but i would lower the temp to about 400 for that.

In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape) (i just get my hands in there and mix it together until it is a nice dough, adding a little flour or buttermilk as needed....it should be slightly sticky.

Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough. (the cross in the top allows the steam to escape...just cut down a quarter inch or so. I sometimes brush it with a little buttermilk and sprinkle it with some steel cut oats...makes it pretty :)

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes reducing the temperature to about 350 at this time.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped to show it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.

Thanks! Can't wait to try it!

Back