Spent grain uses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaBear

Reaction score
Once I hit the boil when making my Wort. I like to use that time to make use of my spent grains by making bread.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420726404.103202.jpg

For every 3 oz of spent grain,
3 1/2 - 3 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

Place all in a large bowl

1 1/2 cups hot water

Add water slowly while mixing by hand. Depending on how moist your grains are, you might need more water, or you might not need all of the water.
Kneed until the dough forms.

Turn over in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and let rise.

After you flame out, preheat oven to 450°.

After you pitch your yeast, release the gas, and shape your loaves. If you have a baking stone and you're shaping it to be an artisan or french loaf, place the stone in the oven to get hot.

Cover shaped loaves and let rest for 30 minutes.

Slash the tops of your loaves 2-4 times and place in the oven.

If making french or artisan loaf, throw a 1/2 cup of water into the bottom of your oven under the bread and close the door. This creates steam that gives the bread a nice crust.

Bake for 25 minutes. Check and continue to bake until the crust is at your desired level of browning. (Most are done at 25 minutes.)

(You could use some of your wort instead of water if you want to add a hop flavor to the bread, cool it to 100°-115° first, but this prevents you from making it during the boil.)

Back