Speidel fermentor problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
I bought this fermentor along with 1/2 ID hose and butterfly clamp. I used it on a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Today I tried to transfer to a keg, using the spigot, along withe hose I ordered. Unmitigated disaster.

First, after pulling it out of the freezer, I noted some mold under the fermentor. Next, I sprayed Star san into the spigot to sanitize, and noted some mold coming out of the spigot when Star San was sprayed into spigot.
Next, I tried to transfer beer using spigot and could not,for the life of me control the flow of beer that was half beer/half air in the hose. I mean I tried everything I could think of.

I tried pinching the hose. Tried lifting the hose. Tried slowing the flow,increasing the flow, lowering the hose, and swearing at the fermentor loudly...nothing worked.

Is the spigot not intended for transferring to another vessel?

Am I missing some step I am not aware of?

Is the 1/2 id hose the wrong size?

Totally frustrated with this purchase. I could not have introduced more oxygen into the beer if I had just jumped in and started splashing around. Batch is totally ruined.

What did I do wrong?

The spigot is intended for transfer of wort/beer. I suspect you may not have had the clamp tight enough and it was pulling in air as it drained. At this point all you can do is purge the keg very well and drink the beer quickly.

You can rig up a small fan to help control the condensation in the freezer. Some folks use moisture absorbing gel pads as well. I suggest you look around for something to set the Speidel on in the freezer that will lift it off the bottom and allow a little air flow underneath to help prevent mold growth directly on the fermentor. Try to limit opening and closing the freezer and make sure the gasket is good.

I bought this fermentor along with 1/2 ID hose and butterfly clamp. I used it on a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Today I tried to transfer to a keg, using the spigot, along withe hose I ordered. Unmitigated disaster.

First, after pulling it out of the freezer, I noted some mold under the fermentor. Next, I sprayed Star san into the spigot to sanitize, and noted some mold coming out of the spigot when Star San was sprayed into spigot.
Next, I tried to transfer beer using spigot and could not,for the life of me control the flow of beer that was half beer/half air in the hose. I mean I tried everything I could think of.

I tried pinching the hose. Tried lifting the hose. Tried slowing the flow,increasing the flow, lowering the hose, and swearing at the fermentor loudly...nothing worked.

Is the spigot not intended for transferring to another vessel?

Am I missing some step I am not aware of?

Is the 1/2 id hose the wrong size?

Totally frustrated with this purchase. I could not have introduced more oxygen into the beer if I had just jumped in and started splashing around. Batch is totally ruined.

What did I do wrong?

1/2 inch ID hose is too big. I use 3/8 ID silicon hose on that spigot with a clamp and get a tight fit.

1/2 inch ID hose is too big. I use 3/8 ID silicon hose on that spigot with a clamp and get a tight fit.

Yeah, that's definitely the source of your air problems. I use a 3/8" silicone hose, too, and it's a tight enough fit that I don't need a clamp. You have to push hard, but I push it up and over the whole spigot assembly (not just the orange part, but the opaque part, too).

I have come to accept that the leaking spigot is an inevitability, unfortunately.

Get the metal Speidel spigot, I have yet to have a leak. Or there is the options from NorCal. Leaks should not be inevitable. ;)

I bought one of the metal spigots, but stopped using it because I couldn't take it apart to clean it, and the chrome started staining. I just didn't trust that it was sanitary. I've thought about setting them up with the NorCal gear, but I mostly ferment in kegs these days so it's hard to justify putting more money into the Speidels.

Also, please be aware that the spigots have to be inserted correctly after disassembly, or they will leak.

Once you disassemble look closely at the spigot, and you will notice a small-circular bump at one end. Look at the other half where it inserts - look closely again and you see see that one end has a small circular groove that will accommodate the bump on the spigot - make sure you insert that way.

I bought one of the metal spigots, but stopped using it because I couldn't take it apart to clean it, and the chrome started staining. I just didn't trust that it was sanitary. I've thought about setting them up with the NorCal gear, but I mostly ferment in kegs these days so it's hard to justify putting more money into the Speidels.

I highly recommend the NorCal gear! Best investment I have made with my Speidels.

With their fittings, as well as SSBrew Tech, and others, I was able to install ball locks to transfer fluid and gas, as well as installed a thermowell to control fermentation temps.

With this setup, i can now do oxygen-free transfers:

Speidel OxygenFree.JPG

I generally keep my spigot about 8 o clock. I also spray it with starsan and put a rubber tap cover over it during fermentation. Spray a few times again before racking to the keg. I don't take samples before kegging day unless it's a big beer or unfamiliar yeast. Doing so only invites chance of infection in my opinion.
Don't get to discouraged. Plenty of happy owners here.

Back