Speidel 60L Test: Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
OK. So I purchased a Speidel 60L as an in-between step to see if I can justify spending the $$ on a Conical for a few reasons stated below:

1. Ease of use
2. Sanitary fittings
3. Ease of cleaning
4. Pressure transfers
5. Dry hopping.

So i figured I would put my Speidel through a hellish test to satisfy #1,4, and 5.

I dry hopped an 11 gallon batch of Pale ale with 2 oz of lose leaf hops, and 2 oz of leaf hops in a muslin bag (sanitized of course) but not sunk with marbles or SS washers.

So tonight I'll check and see how and when the spigot on the bottom will plug up. I will have a racking cane sanitized and ready to go in the likely event that I get plugged up.

Also I am going to pressure transfer at 2psi while doing this through a 5 micron beer filter.

So really, lets see how it works.

Early predictions?

Mine: I think I'll get through about 6 gallons with no issues and then I'll start getting clogged.

Yourrs????????:ban:

As a 60l owner I recommend :
Ferment with the spiedel tilted, with the spigot up. I jut put a small 2x4 under it.
Cold crash, or the hops will clog. I've never clogged the spigot or hose, but many keg QDs.
The spigot is great for samples. I spray star San in it when done and cover with a faucet plug.
If you hear a strange sound from the speidel when pressure transfering, it's probably the gasket around the lid leaking. I often have to smack or hold down the lid at some point.

I'm unsure about the use of a filter in line. I would push to the keg, then filter into another keg. I just don't know if the system can take that pressure. 2 psi is as high as I go. 3 really starts to swell the lid. And idk if 2 psi will push the beer through the filter.
Good luck

Thanks for the recommendations. I actually used the 60L as my secondary fermenter. So are you saying to tilt the fermenter up and away from the spigot during fermentation? I am currently cold crashing right now... I'm not sure if all of them will fall to the bottom.

I've heard about the top not getting a complete seal... I'll see what i can do about that.

Lets see what happens regarding the 2psi of pressure.

I don't secondary, so I tilt mine just to keep the trub away from the spigot. In secondary I doubt that it will matter.

What do you primary in?

The seal is hit and miss. I'm going to use a rubber mallet on my next batch to see if that helps.

Well actually this was just a test for me... I would have conducted my primary fermentation in it, but it did not come in on time, so I split the batches into two glass carboys and fermented that way.

That was my exact thought on how to do it actually. Well on the gas inlet...

The outlet I'm going to first try using some thin-wall tubing and see what happens (It might burst)
If not I have high-temp silicone that will go to SS QD's at the filter.

Thin stuff should be fine, I just felt better about slipping this stuff on the spigot.

Update: Sorry no pictures... honestly I think if i was going to do it again I would make some changes:

So the pressure transfer worked perfectly. No problems there at all. So for me that pretty much seals the deal regarding whether or not I'm going to buy a Conical or not. The Speidel worked fantastic, and even with all the dry hops ing there, I didnt have any stop ups at all.

Now I remember why i don't filter anymore... Jesus! So many things i forgot to do that made it hell on wheels.

I decided not to transfer directly through the filter and into the keg, but did it the traditional way.

Also i purged all my kegs with CO2 and would have transfered through the diptube, however i could not fit it onto the keg post inlet, because the tubing was too big.

Either way, I'm confident i did not inadvertently oxidize the beer. Smells good looks good. Crossed fingers, everything turns out great!

Back