Specific gravity readings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greekdude

Reaction score
So I started a batch of hard cider about 10 days ago. It’s sitting in 2 1-gallon car boys currently. I did not take SG readings as I had no clue I had (bring new to brewing). will this hd a problem when I rack it? When should I take a reading? I will more than likely want to back sweeten as I like a sweet cider, so should I take a reading before I do that?

Most apple juice starts with an original SG of approximately 1.050. You can rack it and take a new reading any time you like. I would do it soon but it's not a real big hurry. You can expect SG to fall to around 0.995 or so by the time it is finished. So if you find the SG is say 1.010 then you know it still needs more time to finish. When you think fermentation might be complete, you should take a reading, and then wait at least another week or two, then take another reading. Fermentation isn't complete until SG stays the same for at least a week or so.

Cheers.

Thank you! But from ive read in the last day or so, anything under like 1.000 means a very dry cider, no?

Yes, anything under 1.000 is very dry... AND very normal and traditional. For thousands of years, humankind enjoyed cider this way. Only now in the 21st century do we insist that it be sweetened. Think about that.

Enjoyed is subjective. Perhaps that’s the only way they knew how to make it and we know better now. For thousands of years we also shat in the woods. Now we use toilets and paper. Another thing to think about :)

Thank you! But from ive read in the last day or so, anything under like 1.000 means a very dry cider, no?
1.000 is dry but still has some residual sugar. Distilled water is 1.000. 100% pure ethanol Alcohol is lower gravity than water @ 0.7936. Since alcohol is produced and most all sugar in apple juice is 100% fermentable, sub 1.000 gravity is to be expected, providing the yeast is capable of consuming all the sugar.

What yeast did you use?

Second question that you hinted: I want a sweet cider, I should just stop fermentation, right? Think about stopping your morning pee mid-stream after a night of drinking. Just not going to happen! Ferment dry, stabilize then backsweeten.

3rd question that you haven't asked: my fav beer yeast only gets 80% attenuation, I can just use that to stop my apples from going dry, right? Not quite. 80% attenuation does not take into account that fructose and sucrose are 100% fermentable. Beer has many non-fermentable sugars.

Latest posts

Back