Specialty Irish Stout Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi, I just brewed an Irish Dry Stout (more Murphy's than Guinness), and was planning on pulling of a gallon once fermented and add something to it in secondary. Both for variety and so I have more styles to enter in an upcoming homebrew competition.

Anyone have any experience adding specialty ingredients to an Irish Dry Stout, that turned out well?

Coffee seems like a good bet. Possibly age it on oak...

With a fairly dry beer like this it seems like the wrong ingredient would just add astringency.

Any ideas?

The Irish are fun, but their beer and food is boring. (although a full Irish breakfast is pretty intense)

Irish stout is a great style, but it is simple and doesn't really lend itself to well to thinking outside the box, IMHO.

Yeah, the Irish coffee idea with Jameson soaked oak occurred to me as well. Just wasn't sure if a 4.2% beer could support all that. But perhaps.

I also totally agree that the style doesn't support a lot of outside the box ideas.

Was hoping maybe someone had tried something that worked.

Latest posts

Back