Specialty Grains, Im Kinda Lost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrenaline-Junkie

Reaction score
Ok, so after doing a number of extract kits id like to start making my own. The problem im having is with specialty grains. Are the descriptions online accurate enough to go buy or is it one of those things you kind of have to learn from?

Im looking to do a nice dry/crisp wheat with a clean flavor that isnt dark in color or have much sweetness. I know a lot of those aspects come from the hops and yeast but ive already narrowed those down for this specific recipe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ok, so after doing a number of extract kits id like to start making my own. The problem im having is with specialty grains. Are the descriptions online accurate enough to go buy or is it one of those things you kind of have to learn from?

Im looking to do a nice dry/crisp wheat with a clean flavor that isnt dark in color or have much sweetness. I know a lot of those aspects come from the hops and yeast but ive already narrowed those down for this specific recipe.

I think that Northern Brewer's descriptions have been pretty accurate and I'd trust that, up to a point anyway.

I would suggest using some brewing software (like Beersmith, which has a free trial) so you could double check the percentages being used and also the descriptions of the grain and which to be mashed and which can be steeped.

Another second on some brewing software to help plan your recipes. I use beersmith, but there are plenty of other tools out there. I also recommend starting with a base of other people's recipes to build your own.

When I pick a new style to brew, I'll use these forums and other kits out there to look at different ways to make that style. Then I'll start my recipe off of the parts that sound most interesting to me. Maybe the hop schedule from one and the grain choices of another. Finally, after brewing it and tasting it I'll review my notes and decide what changes could be made.

Along with the excellent advice noted by Yooper, this is a simple yet very easy to brew Belgian Wit which is light, clean, refreshing, and almost fool proof and comes in about 6 ABV.

I usually go with Coriander, Bitter Orange Peel, and sometimes a little Sweet Orange or Lemon Peel myself for a nice summer beer, but you can play with the additions as you like. I like a subtle flavor myself, others prefer a stronger taste of the additions. This is a tad stronger than most, but you wouldn't know it by drinking it... well... until later. I just brewed 14 gallons of this as a Raspberry Wit for a friends wedding which came out better than I thought it would.

I usually brew 7 gal, but here's the 5 gal version.

6.5 lbs Belgian Pilsner
6.5 lbs Wheat Flakes
.5 lbs oat flakes (sometimes I add this, sometimes not)
1oz East Kent Golding @ 60 min.
1oz lightly crushed Coriander @5 min.
1oz Bitter Orange Peel @ 5 min.
WLP 400 or Wyeast 3944
Mash @ 152 for 60 min.
OG 1.062
Fg 1.014

Start fermentation around 66 then slowly let it rise to 72 towards the end. This ferments out quickly and is meant to be consumed young.

This is a simple albeit classic Wit recipe found just about every where. The devil is in the details...

I just bought beersmith and it is pretty handy. Like most things im just over thinking the grains. Thanks for the input so far guys, its been a great help.

Back