Special B-am I sane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlpred55

Reaction score
Anyone ever used a small amount say 2-4oz in a APA? Reason I am asking is that I love my APA's to be ramped up with hops but I like to have some strong malt to back it up, ala 3FAlpha King. I know it isn't really true to the style since I want higher IBU's but what the hell, APA's are loose anyway. I have found a supposed clone recipe (eventhough those guys at 3F are tight lipped) that involves using Special B and Melanodion malts in small amounts. I don't want to clone the thing but make something similar in the malt to hops balance department.

I know I am going against the grain here, so to speak, with what most others say about the APA's but I like lots of malt flavors to balance the hops. I plan to hop this with Simcoe and Cascade about 50-60 ibus.

I've seen biscuit and victory in APA's before, adding that toasty kick. Special B wouldn't be a problem at all.

I bought IPA kit from AHBS had a few oz's of Special B in it. at work so i dont have the recipe handy. it turned out pretty good, but it was also my first All-grain.

I've never used it in a Pale Ale, but I have used Special B in other styles, and they all came out with an above average-to-strong malty flavor, if that's any help.

I've been using Special B in my ESB lately.

I used 6 oz. of it in a 10 lb/1.054 batch last weekend. It seems to add a nice malt kick that reminds me of a slight graham crackery taste.

I'm a fan of small amounts in British bitters.

Back