Speakers and stereo equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TVs above fireplaces look nice, but without a proper mantle to block the heat, it's an easy way to cook your TV. I can't remember what the exact clearance to combustibles should be, but you'd probably have to get that TV way up high to keep it away from the direct heat.

Can you post a sketch of the entire room showing dimensions and adjoining hallways and rooms? There has to be something better than the way you have the room set up now, but without knowing what you have to work with it's hard to say how to improve it.

TVs above fireplaces look nice, but without a proper mantle to block the heat, it's an easy way to cook your TV. I can't remember what the exact clearance to combustibles should be, but you'd probably have to get that TV way up high to keep it away from the direct heat.

Easy to add actually...but then again my wife calls me very handy.

FWIW..to the OP they actually make log mantel kits, but they are a fun project to make your self or with your spouse. One of those feel good projects you get to look at every day and when people ask you get to say " Yah, We did that"

log-mantels-rustic-mantels-rustic-fireplace-mantels-rustic-log-fireplace-mantel-kit.jpg

corner-fireplace-mantel-kits.jpg

Generally speaking, the height above the opening is equidistant to the projection but no less than 6 Inches. But, it really depends on the rules of the jurisdiction as specific amendments to code may apply.

wow, i just discovered this thread... Here is a pic of my SongTowers... love them.

536497_3603666462851_1058963844_n.jpg

FWIW I went back and corrected my post ..I meant the lamp "left of the Fire place" for the second speaker location not left of TV. So one speaker on each side of the fireplace.

So... Here's my conundrum.

1) I want an A/V receiver with lots of HDMI (and other) inputs that I can connect a whole bunch of things to. Essentially I need a minimum of about 4 HDMI (something like 5-6 would be better) and at least one component (Nintendo Wii). The key is to have enough inputs to cover everything, and having things like Pandora, Netflix, etc integrated would be wonderful.

2) I only occasionally watch movies. So I'm not planning on going full 5.1 or 7.1 or 11.2 or who knows what else for surround sound. I don't see any need for anything more than 2 loudspeakers and a sub, and *maybe* a center channel.

3) Audio playback is important. I'm not going to become a vinyl aficionado, but if I eventually started getting higher quality digital recordings, I could play them back on my Linux server (which will be connected to the receiver). But mostly it would be streaming.

What sorts of items would you guys suggest? I'm thinking a budget of $500-1000 for the receiver, $1000 or a little higher for the loudspeakers, then add a sub and maybe a center that are well matched to those loudspeakers.

Welcome wyowolf, that speaker is pretty looking.
Haha member the Seinfeld where george pines that he would have been a different person if he grew up with a mantle. Yeah if your house is like that TV above the fireplace for sure. I'm having some serious mantle envy now. It would free up a lot of space and help with speaker issue. Would build it, sure, but definitely not with wife :). The fireplace is rounded and the boulders are different shapes and sizes. The job would require cutting into the rock? Or set in front a little and lagged in at sides? Will provide sketches, thanks for the help and like ceiling mount idea. I want Tower versions of these in that room so things may change. Those are headed to my bedroom when I sell the other ones.

I'm happy to report that the cabinets vibrate with only the slightest tingle on the fingers even at a high level. I think that they were built with internal framing sandwich by foam. They have the ability to fill a room with sound for bookshelves. Ultimately I've come to appreciate Towers more than bookshelves in a 2.0 setup.

It looks like you're still dialing in speaker placement with the towel under them. I've been there!

Yeah, I had just got them and was putting the bases on them. 5 years and I couldnt be happier...

I plan to build a smaller version for the bedroom, those Salk's will go down to the theater, if it ever gets built :)

1) I want an A/V receiver with lots of HDMI (and other) inputs that I can connect a whole bunch of things to. Essentially I need a minimum of about 4 HDMI (something like 5-6 would be better) and at least one component (Nintendo Wii). The key is to have enough inputs to cover everything, and having things like Pandora, Netflix, etc integrated would be wonderful.

2) I only occasionally watch movies. So I'm not planning on going full 5.1 or 7.1 or 11.2 or who knows what else for surround sound. I don't see any need for anything more than 2 loudspeakers and a sub, and *maybe* a center channel.

3) Audio playback is important. I'm not going to become a vinyl aficionado, but if I eventually started getting higher quality digital recordings, I could play them back on my Linux server (which will be connected to the receiver). But mostly it would be streaming.

What sorts of items would you guys suggest? I'm thinking a budget of $500-1000 for the receiver, $1000 or a little higher for the loudspeakers, then add a sub and maybe a center that are well matched to those loudspeakers.

1.) I prefer to do video based HDMI switching at the the display. Unless the receiver is higher end with some kind of video processing, I'd rather have the discrete inputs at the display for better video control per source.

As for integration, IMO, it is better "off-board". It's not hard to find Blu-Ray players with integrated Netflix, et al. but, personally, I'd rather it be in the form of a stick or a puck. As the technology changes, and as the FCC rules change, I'd rather replace an obsolete $50 stick DVP than a $200 - $500 Blu-Ray player. JMO.

2.) Okay. For anything video. 3 channels would be the bare min I would suggest. Depending on the mains speakers, a sub may also be optional.

3.) Again, I'd go with a DVP stick and any of the available personal media apps. I use the "MyMedia" app for video and audio.

The job would require cutting into the rock?

No. I would not modify the rock to make a flat base for a TV mount. The MOST I would do to the rock is drill for anchorage. That is the least invasive. And the easiest to repair should things change.

As to how to mount really depends on if the fireplace is solid rock, or veneer. Assuming solid rock, I would use wedge anchors for masonry, and vinyl spacers (bushings) to hold the brackets off the rock faces.

Yamaha receivers will do all that. Mine is connected via ethernet to my network (might have wifi, not sure). It has built-in Pandora which is cool because with the Yamaha iPhone app I can turn on the receiver and make it play any of my Pandora stations, with no other equipment turned on. I have whole-house audio, so allows me to change the music without leaving my den or kitchen or wherever I am. I can also start iTunes right here on my PC and cast the audio into the receiver. The receiver will turn on and just start playing whatever the PC is "casting" at it. If you're an itunes user, you know this is great as you can customize playlists to suit the mood.

I've got 3 other devices connected to the receiver that can also stream pandora, but the built in is best. Networking really makes my receiver great for me.

Regarding video switching, it sounds like a good idea, but when the inlaws or kids or wife can't figure out how to get it all working, it might be more bother than it's worth. I do it, but I've got things set up so that my wife can watch cable tv without turning on the receiver. All the animals in my kingdom are happy (now).

I can't comment on the comparative audio quality of the receiver. Sounds good to me.

Regarding video switching, it sounds like a good idea, but when the inlaws or kids or wife can't figure out how to get it all working, it might be more bother than it's worth. I do it, but I've got things set up so that my wife can watch cable tv without turning on the receiver. All the animals in my kingdom are happy (now).

A good remote solves this issue. Curious tho'. Does your display still pass audio when the internal speakers are on? Many do not.

IMO, it all depends on how "tweaky" you are about video calibration per source. If you don't mind differences in source output, then switching at a receiver is just fine.

But if, you are like me and, you prefer a bit more control of picture color, brightness, and contrast of each source, then switching at the display, IMO, is better. Unless of course you have a receiver with input based video processing control. These used to be popular before HDMI. Not sure if they still exist. Also unsure if newer generation components allow for output control. I am still using components from the 80's, 90's, and early 2K.

1.) I prefer to do video based HDMI switching at the the display. Unless the receiver is higher end with some kind of video processing, I'd rather have the discrete inputs at the display for better video control per source.

As for integration, IMO, it is better "off-board". It's not hard to find Blu-Ray players with integrated Netflix, et al. but, personally, I'd rather it be in the form of a stick or a puck. As the technology changes, and as the FCC rules change, I'd rather replace an obsolete $50 stick DVP than a $200 - $500 Blu-Ray player. JMO.

FYI one of the reasons to go for switching at the receiver is just to have more HDMI inputs. I've used all three on the TV already. I have an Amazon fire stick that I don't use partly because I don't have an input, and I'd like the option of a Chromecast to easily cast things from my laptop or phone onto the screen.

Agreed on the integration. Pandora is the main one I'd like integrated into the receiver, if any. I currently have a Roku stick that I eventually will upgrade into a 4K Roku box. Especially because right now I'm using the TV's Netflix app (which is 4K) instead of the Roku, but the TV apps are way worse than the Roku apps in general.

True, that will be an issue. But I do look forward to actually getting rid of some remotes in the process. But my girlfriend is pretty smart, and I think the kids could figure it out too...

A Logitech Harmony remote and Yamaha VX receiver here. Works flawlessly.
I got the Harmony remote on eBay for $40.
It keeps the wife and her family from turning the tv audio up and causing mind numbing phase problems
Couldn't be happier with the Yammy. 7 HDMI, different audio and video settings can be saved per input, networking and it drives my weirdo 6ohm mains.

FYI one of the reasons to go for switching at the receiver is just to have more HDMI inputs. I've used all three on the TV already. I have an Amazon fire stick that I don't use partly because I don't have an input, and I'd like the option of a Chromecast to easily cast things from my laptop or phone onto the screen.

Understandable. while there are remote controllable external HDMI switches available, I do understand the want for convenience.

Just make sure that whatever receiver you choose at least has HDMI v2.0 to be sure that you don't become obsolete with the UHD/HDR generation of displays/equipment. Shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

Something like this? RX-A860BL

Does that have enough power to drive two good tower loudspeakers? Any recommendations on those speakers?

So long as you stay away from the really obscure brands, yes. That will do fine. But ultimately it really depends on the speakers you settle on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like this? RX-A860BL

Does that have enough power to drive two good tower loudspeakers? Any recommendations on those speakers?

My 2c, i would pass on the amp and price. I could be wrong and it could really sound sweet but i would bail imo. I have come to see Power as power and there is quite a bit of debate about this subject. I also have heard my speakers sound ok on integrateds. But even if some of these avs are rated as good or someone says they sound as good as this or that. It has been experience that most people in-the-know are using separates. Especially to drive just a 2.0 system. All my systems are 2.0. I see it as the best value and I like a real clean sound but I have flirted with the idea of doing some surround.

For speakers see above and buy mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2c, i would pass on the amp and price. I could be wrong and it could really sound sweet but i would bail imo. I have come to see Power as power and there is quite a bit of debate about this subject. I also have heard my speakers sound ok on integrateds. But even if some of these avs are rated as good or someone says they sound as good as this or that. It has been experience that most people in-the-know are using separates. Especially to drive just a 2.0 system. All my systems are 2.0. I see it as the best value and I like a real clean sound but I have flirted with the idea of doing some surround.

For speakers see above and buy mine!

For 2 channel music systems, I agree.

For A/V switching and surround, I do not. It is difficult to find good A/V pre-amps at the price point of even a high end integrated.

Consider something like this instead bwarbiany. Start by buying the 50 pound amp. Preamp it with whatever you got laying around. Later maybe get the preamp.

Decent. But give too much of what he doesn't want/need (channels) and does not solve the original problem of not enough HDMI inputs.

If you're "stuck" with the TV you've got, then a decent receiver is probably your best bet. We upgraded our tv last year (65" Samsung 4K) and it got us exactly how many hdmi inputs we need (4).
For our media center, we split between the tv's "smart" options (4K Netflix & Amazon Prime) and Apple TV for streaming movies from our NAS, PSVue for OTA offerings, and Hulu/non4k-Netflix.
I know it's somewhat sacrilege, but I'm totally on board with Sonos' offerings for standard tv/movie watching. We've got the PlayBar, Sub, and 2 Play1's for our "surround" setup, and it's more than acceptable for a comfortable unobtrusive living room setup.

Understandable. while there are remote controllable external HDMI switches available, I do understand the want for convenience.

Just make sure that whatever receiver you choose at least has HDMI v2.0 to be sure that you don't become obsolete with the UHD/HDR generation of displays/equipment. Shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

It's HDCP 2.2 to be ensuring is present. HDMI 2.0 is pretty much a given, although HDCP 2.2 should be pretty close to a given.at this point too.

I got a system in my car. 2 amps 4 speakers and a subwoofer. It will destroy your ears if that is the goal.

I have an Onkyo (TX-NR757?) with 8 HDMI ports, I think it's about 110wpc and it's pretty clean. I'm powering a couple of old Boston Acoustics A400s and a center channel right now, but it had no trouble pushing my ancient Altec Santiagos into neighborhood-disturbance territory. It has integrated Bluetooth and WiFi, but no services (Spotify, et. al.). I picked it up mostly for the number of HDMI inputs and the 4K passthru, but it sounds great.

It's HDCP 2.2 to be ensuring is present. HDMI 2.0 is pretty much a given, although HDCP 2.2 should be pretty close to a given.at this point too.

HDCP 2.2 is a copy protection communication encryption protocol not signal chain specification. HDCP 2.2 required a HDMI 2.0 port to function, but not all HDMI 2.0 ports implement HDCP 2.2.

Anyone here have experience with monoprice's speakers?
They have ribbon in-walls sparring at $49
Looking to a center and surrounds. May grab a martinlogan center off eBay to match the mains but need to figure out the surrounds. I'd only use them for movies and maybe sports. Stay 2.1 the rest of the time.

Seeing that outlaw amp reminded me that I've has a Carver Premier AV-705 and a Carver CT-27v preamp sitting (covered) in my attic for 15+ years now.

I should do something with those.

Anyone here have experience with monoprice's speakers?
They have ribbon in-walls sparring at $49
Looking to a center and surrounds. May grab a martinlogan center off eBay to match the mains but need to figure out the surrounds. I'd only use them for movies and maybe sports. Stay 2.1 the rest of the time.

I would pass, just my opinion. In all honesty they wouldn't even make it to my garage

I would pass, just my opinion. In all honesty they wouldn't even make it to my garage

Have you heard them?
Doubt they could sound worse than Sony's....
(Sorry to the previous poster with the Sony's, but every Sony speaker I've heard seems to be designed to be loud, not good. But they look nice)

Im keeping my eyes peeled on eBay for martinlogan surrounds and center...

The martin logans are a better option imo. Let me explain where i am coming from. I really went through buyers remorse before and after buying my first set of nice speakers (if you could call them that;) )! And quickly came to realize that for 500 dollars they were one of the best and most important purchases of my life. I had been chasing cheaper stuff my whole life. I didnt care, didnt know, didnt research and had more fun to. Now I am older with kids and we either watch tv or listen to music or watch movies everyday. So to me i realized right away that this was a purchase that i use everyday (unlike my gibson guitar), substantially upgraded the sound, made the kids and wife happy, and will pretty much bring me a lifetime of joy until they break or I sell them.

My wife who seriously would watch tv with only tv speakers given the chance, loves them and enjoys them. Most women (and men) do despite stating or thinking otherwise. They realize quickly that they dont have to yell "turn it down" because nice loudspeakers dont sound blaring. It fascinates me that i can carry on a conversation with my speakers blaring, yet it would be difficult to with tv speakers turned up. My friend who bought that first set from me, he and his wife had the same experience. She loves them and now they sit and watch live music together which they never did before. For 50 dollars i have now bought two b&w v202s. Just saw a pair for 50 the other day. These could be the end stop for many.

As always dont trust me, go to a bestbuy magnolia store and listen to everything from 50 to 3000 and judge by your ears. Key is that at some point returns diminish with price around (just a guess) 2 to 3000.

^^ yeah right away:)

Don't really have a use for them. Was my wifes system when we got married. Replaced those two with an integrated.

I could do distributed audio, but don't really have a need. Not entirely suire how I'd downmix stereo out from the CT to mono and then split that across 5 channels anyway. I could figure it out but, like I said, don't really need it.

The Yammy has plenty enough power to distribute audio throughout the house at ~1300 watt. :rockin:

I was over at a friend's last weekend and got a chance to hear these Affordable Accuracy monitors from Dennis Murphy. He also had a pair of Harbeth P3's hooked up on another channel. We spent a solid three hours auditioning different genres on vinyl while switching back and forth and there was very little difference between the two on their own with possibly only a slight increase in mid tones and marginally better base response with the Harbeths.

The AA's actually sounded warmer to my ears, they sounded amazing! Once he switched the sub/crossover on there was literally little to no difference in the sound stage between the two. I immediately ordered a pair of my own, hopefully they will show up today. If you're running a sub with bass-management in your system I cannot recommend these monitors enough. Even without a sub, for around 200 bucks, you're getting a pair of monitors that will stand up next to a set that will set you back over 2K!

Seeing that outlaw amp reminded me that I've has a Carver Premier AV-705 and a Carver CT-27v preamp sitting (covered) in my attic for 15+ years now.

I should do something with those.

Yes! I'll PM you my addy and gladly pay the shipping cost. :mug:

Don't really have a use for them. Was my wifes system when we got married. Replaced those two with an integrated.

I could do distributed audio, but don't really have a need. Not entirely suire how I'd downmix stereo out from the CT to mono and then split that across 5 channels anyway. I could figure it out but, like I said, don't really need it.

The Yammy has plenty enough power to distribute audio throughout the house at ~1300 watt. :rockin:

What, 1300 watts rms? Thats awesome I want one. Is that 250 watts per channel over 5.1?

For the carver, garage?!

HDCP 2.2 is a copy protection communication encryption protocol not signal chain specification. HDCP 2.2 required a HDMI 2.0 port to function, but not all HDMI 2.0 ports implement HDCP 2.2.

Yes, exactly my point. You'd mentioned HDMI 2.0 but these days HDCP 2.2 is what one really needs to be sure of and HDCP 2.2 had not been previously mentioned.

HDMI 2.0 isn't necessarliy HDCP 2.2, but HDCP 2.2 is always HDMI 2.0.

If one is buying all new gear today it probably has HDCP 2.2. The people that have to be most careful are those who may try to mix earlier 4k stuff with newer 4k stuff.

Back