Sparkling Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatewood

Reaction score
I've just recently become a bit curious of wines that get carbonated up to the point of commercial sparkling (usually white) wines, and I wanted to ask you guys if you know how to achieve this?

My only idea so far, is to sterilize the whole thing once fully attenuated, then add a bit of sugar, yeast and air to the brew and seal it so it gets turned into CO2 and carbonates it (I use plastic bottles, so no biggy if it happens to burst).

I've just recently become a bit curious of wines that get carbonated up to the point of commercial sparkling (usually white) wines, and I wanted to ask you guys if you know how to achieve this?

My only idea so far, is to sterilize the whole thing once fully attenuated, then add a bit of sugar, yeast and air to the brew and seal it so it gets turned into CO2 and carbonates it (I use plastic bottles, so no biggy if it happens to burst).
It depends on the producer and type, but there is the option to add sugar or to bottle it while it's still fermenting, obviously for the second option you need to know 100% when it will finish so it doesn't blow up.

Then they will expel part of the CO2 and lees and cork again, that's why there is no lees in Spanish sparkling wines (the ones I know)

They are usually around 7 or 9 volumes but they lose part of it when they do the lees expelling thing

Latest posts

Back