Sparkling Mead in Regular Beer Bottles? Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suenodos

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to figure out how to brew a sparkling mead. I was planning on brewing Northern Brewer's dry mead. I was thinking it would be as easy as bottle priming. However, I have read some information that says regular 12 ounces beer bottles cannot hold sparkling mead.

Here the link to the kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/winemaking/mead-kits/artisanal-dry-mead-kit.html

So my questions are:

-Can you corn sugar prime?

-Can you bottle in regular beer bottles?

-If not, is there an easy way to make sparkling mead without a keg?

So, I'm trying to figure out how to brew a sparkling mead. I was planning on brewing Northern Brewer's dry mead. I was thinking it would be as easy as bottle priming. However, I have read some information that says regular 12 ounces beer bottles cannot hold sparkling mead.

Here the link to the kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/winemaking/mead-kits/artisanal-dry-mead-kit.html

So my questions are:

-Can you corn sugar prime?

-Can you bottle in regular beer bottles?

-If not, is there an easy way to make sparkling mead without a keg?

Unless the mead is being carbonated to a much higher level than beer, then the beer bottles would be fine. Where are you reading the warnings? Did it say why?

Another option is to use sparkling wine bottles (champagne bottles) which are also made to hold carbonated beverages - you could bottle condition/carbonate in them, also.

That mainly comes from the fact that many people like a highly carbed sparkling mead, more like champagne. Also some people 'guess' at making sparkling wine and get REALLY high CO2 volumes because they bottle too soon (fermentation hasn't ended), and beer bottles won't withstand it.

If you do it right and only go for 'beer CO2 levels' you'll be ok.

If you type in homebrew sparkling mead, there are random sources that say you will get too much volume of pressure in the bottles. They are extremely vague. This is why I asked you guys to get a straight answer.

Do you think 4oz of corn sugar would be too much priming sugar?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the help!

Thanks again, I'm really excited to do this. I've never tried mead. It seems wonderful if so many people are into it.

Back