Sparge Water Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
John Palmer says that you should sparge with 1.5 times more than your mash and that you should have 1 pound for every 0.5gallons of beer. Correct me if Im wrong please, this is how I would do it (and how I've done it):

I want to make 4 gallons of beer with a 1.052 of OG.

So I place 4 gallons of beer and like 7.5 pounds of grains (2-Row, Wheat and Oats) on a grain bag at 150F - 155F for one hour.

I read my gravity and is at approximately 1.060. But now I have like 2.5 gallons of wort because of grain suction and evaporation.

So I take the grain bag out I place it in top of the kettle (someone holding it) and I began fly sparging (this is where I think 1.5 times of sparge Water is too much, it will be 6 gallons of water in this case!!!) so I neglect to think Palmer is right and I just take 1.5 gallons of sparge to complete the water in the kettle to achieve 4 gallons of wort again checking gravity oftenly and not letting it go under 1.040.

So I hit my 1.052 or close and began the boiling with hops. At the end of it I will have evaporated like half a gallon so I have like 1.058 of gravity,replace it with water , after all, its just replacing water that was originally there and I achieve my 1.052 or so.

Then I'll just place yeast.

What am I doing wrong????? I get a watery flavored beer which frustrates me. Where is my fault??? Please help!!! Im begging!!

John Palmer says that you should sparge with 1.5 times more than your mash and that you should have 1 pound for every 0.5gallons of beer. Correct me if Im wrong please, this is how I would do it (and how I've done it):

I want to make 4 gallons of beer with a 1.052 of OG.

So I place 4 gallons of beer and like 7.5 pounds of grains (2-Row, Wheat and Oats) on a grain bag at 150F - 155F for one hour.

I read my gravity and is at approximately 1.060. But now I have like 2.5 gallons of wort because of grain suction and evaporation.

So I take the grain bag out I place it in top of the kettle (someone holding it) and I began fly sparging (this is where I think 1.5 times of sparge Water is too much, it will be 6 gallons of water in this case!!!) so I neglect to think Palmer is right and I just take 1.5 gallons of sparge to complete the water in the kettle to achieve 4 gallons of wort again checking gravity oftenly and not letting it go under 1.040.

So I hit my 1.052 or close and began the boiling with hops. At the end of it I will have evaporated like half a gallon so I have like 1.058 of gravity,replace it with water , after all, its just replacing water that was originally there and I achieve my 1.052 or so.

Then I'll just place yeast.

What am I doing wrong????? I get a watery flavored beer which frustrates me. Where is my fault??? Please help!!! Im begging!!
I am an newb AG brewer but I think you are mashing in too much water. Your mash should be between 1.25-2qts per pound of grain with most people falling between 1.33 and 1.5qt per pound. So with 7.5 lbs @ 1.33qt you should be mashing with @ 10 qts and not the 4 gallons you mention.

Keep in mind there are so many people on here with WAY more knowledge than me but that would be my first guess.

Colin

I agree with Colin, 10 to 12 quarts of mashing water creates an appropriate water/grist ratio in this case. 16 quarts is a bit higher than typical, but its not outrageous. Its approaching a 'no-sparge' brewing method. There are plenty of guides on the web and in software to assist you in better defining what water volumes you should use for typical mashing with sparging.

Back