South Pacific Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipopiad

Reaction score
Title: South Pacific Pale Ale

Brew Method: Extract
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.5 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 5.14%
IBU (tinseth): 142.62
SRM (morey): 5.1

FERMENTABLES:
6.5 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Golden Light (82.5%) @ flameout
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Golden Light (12.7%) @ 60 min
6 oz - Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear/Blond (4.8%) @ 60 min

HOPS:
1 oz - Pacific Jade for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 14.6, IBU: 54.71)
1 oz - Pacific Jade for 45 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 14.6, IBU: 50.22)
1 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 20 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.5, IBU: 28.36)
1 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.5, IBU: 9.34)
3 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 14 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop (AA 12.5)

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc Tablet, Time: 20 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Northwest Ale 1332
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 69%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 75 F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Really simple Pale Ale made with NZ hops. I had the candi sugar sitting around, so I decided to throw it in at the last minute to raise the ABV a bit.
This one is in the primary right now, I'll update with notes as the process continues.:mug:

Edit: Also worth mentioning is that I added the LME at flameout, as per this thread. I've had very good results using this method, although I still add a small amount at the beginning of the boil.

Update 8/13: My God, it's a mango-peach explosion. It finished at about 1.017, so the malt sweetness really brings out the fruit flavors of the hops. I'm dry hopping it right now, and changed to 3 oz dry hop, because when I transferred it there was almost no aroma.

It looks great but, next time make the yeast starter! And ferment more toward the low end of the yeast's range. I find these things make my good beers better.

I may have to plagiarize this!

Thanks, hopefully it'll turn out. My apartment averages about 85° during the day, so temp control is a bit difficult... I just have the carboy in a swamp cooler, and 75° is about as cool as I can get it consistently. I'm looking into getting a temp controller for my kegerator but I don't think that's a good solution because I can't serve and ferment at the same time. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Also, good call on the yeast starter. I was going to do one, but this brew day was a bit impulsive and I didn't have enough time. Next time I'll plan ahead a little better. :drunk:

Hey folks,

Pretty new to brewing, and very new to this forum. I've made 2 extract brews, but from recipe kits from my local store. I followed them pretty closely, and they're turning out well.

Can someone explain some of the terminology here?

As far as I can gather, OP heated some water and added some stuff, boiled the wort and added hops at the given intervals, and then at the end tossed in some more stuff? Then added yeast and dry-hopped?

Hey folks,

Pretty new to brewing, and very new to this forum. I've made 2 extract brews, but from recipe kits from my local store. I followed them pretty closely, and they're turning out well.

Can someone explain some of the terminology here?

As far as I can gather, OP heated some water and added some stuff, boiled the wort and added hops at the given intervals, and then at the end tossed in some more stuff? Then added yeast and dry-hopped?

Basically I added the DME (dry malt extract) and rock candy sugar at the beginning of the boil, then the hops at intervals, then the LME (liquid malt extract) at the end of the boil, so as not to scorch and caramelize the sugar. If you're looking for more general instructions, check out the beginner's beer brewing forum.

My God, it's a mango-peach explosion. It finished at about 1.017, so the malt sweetness really brings out the fruit flavors of the hops. I'm dry hopping it right now, and changed to 3 oz dry hop, because when I transferred it there was almost no aroma.

Turned out great, the dry hop actually toned the mango down a bit, into a more traditional hop character. I'm trying this recipe again as a partial mash, and with a temp controlled fridge. Depending on how it turns out I'm thinking about entering this one at a homebrew competition.

Back