Sourcing Cacao Nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aa760

Reaction score
Greetings HBT clan. I have a stout brewing and am planning on adding cacao nibs to secondary. I have done this before with success, but have recently found the cost at the lbhs to be a tad high- $7.99/4 ounces. My plan is 6 ounces, and I don't really want to buy two of these seemingly overpriced packages. In looking at amazon, I see I can get a much better per ounce price- a pound is around $12. Which brings me to my question- which product is best? Here is an amazon search for cacao nibs:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=cacao nibs

Anyone have a recommendation? Are these the right type? Are all nibs created equal? Hoping to take advantage of the knowledge base here to get the right product. Thanks in advance for the help!

They are all the same things, but I have no idea if they are all of the same quality. That being the case I simply bought the amount I thought I might need in the near future and bought the cheapest. I ended up finding organic for a good price and bought 2 lbs.

I've used the Natierra nibs, bought off Amazon, before and they were good quality. I think I chose them based on price/reviews.

In general, you can almost always find spices/additives cheaper via other sources (Amazon, grocery store, natural food stores, etc) than what brewing supply places sell them for, and their likely going to be fresher and of better quality too.

I'm fermenting a Moo Hoo Chocolate stout clone from Terrapin Beer Co. They recommend and use nibs from Olive & Sinclair Chocolate Co.

Here's where I got mine

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/herbs-spices-wood-etc/cacao-nibs-ghana/

Looks like you'll still need to order 2 though...

BTW, They come in vacuum packed foil packs so they should be very fresh. I'll let you know in a week... ;)

Bought mine at Whole Foods because it was convenient and don't remember exactly but don't recall them being too pricey.

i bought the scharffen berger nibs because of my experience with their chocolate bars. i figured if the chocolate they sell is really good, then the nibs are probably going to be good quality as well.

the beer they are for is still fermenting, so i won't know if they're decent for beer for a while.

Back