Sour Worting with Pedio instead of Lacto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujitsudave

Reaction score
So Ive been knocking around some ideas to play with sour worting a beer and Ive read that Pedio produces a more complex acidity in comparison to Lacto (albeit in longer time), and the thought occured to me, what about souring the wort with Pedio instead of Lacto, doing a short boil to kill pedio, then ferment out with Brett or something. Has anyone tried this, or do any of the resident experts have any thoughts on this? Thanks for sharing!

It is not a good idea to boil after souring with Pediococcus, you don't need to kill the microbe to continue making a sour. You will also boil off a significant portion of the volatile and delicate flavors that are produced by the bacterium. You definitely have to use Pedio in combination with Brettanomyces, as Pedio alone can produce diacetyl and can also turn your beer sick, eg. thick, viscous, slimy. The Brett will clean up the negative aspects of the Pedio inoculation, but it takes a while.

So Ive been knocking around some ideas to play with sour worting a beer and Ive read that Pedio produces a more complex acidity in comparison to Lacto (albeit in longer time), and the thought occured to me, what about souring the wort with Pedio instead of Lacto, doing a short boil to kill pedio, then ferment out with Brett or something. Has anyone tried this, or do any of the resident experts have any thoughts on this? Thanks for sharing!

More complex in what way?

Souring with Lacto works because Lacto is very quick. Pedio moves at a snail's pace in comparison. I'd worry that other microbes would move in before the Pedio really got to work. I tried to grow straight Pedio while out at Modern Times and didn't have luck with either the Wyeast or ECY cultures. Mold grew, they were dumped.

Back