sour taste in pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
just racked a pumpkin ale to secondary that had been in primary for 13 days and the beer has a strong sour/Belgian type taste but it was fermented with amer ale 1056. yeast was from a prior batch with a started and fermentation showed no visible signs of infection nice krousen with rapid start. curious if anyone has had this and if it will fade when yeast drops.

0G 1.061 FG 1.011 feremted at 66deg

Last year, I made a batch of Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, and it picked up some sort of lacto/aceter infection that left no visible signs in the fermentor. I still don't like it, but it went on to become an award-winning spiced sour ale. So if it IS infected, you might still be ok.

Wonder if there is a way to salvage a lightly sour oatmeal stout. First time I've made a beer that didn't turn out at least reasonably well. It drinks ok.. but, that light sourness keeps it from being a 'winner' in my eyes.

Good to read this. My batch of pumkin ale ended up with a different after taste, hard to describe, almost medicinal. The pumkin ale is all grain, During Mash, I made the mistake of adding the pumpkin to the mash water first and then adding the grain. Big mistake. Stuck mash. My wort had a lot of matter in it. Wort cleaned up after boil and into carboy. Fermentation went well and it cleaned up okay. Carbed it up after cold crashing. Smell and initial taste are great but the after taste is bad. I pulled the keg and am going to let it do a little more aging. Any thoughts???

I've done a pumpkin beer for the last 3 years and none of mine have ever turned out tasting very good. All extract here with canned pumpkin puree, but I keep getting really fruity flavors in mine. Almost tastes like a sourness note to it as well.

Back