sour starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
Hello,
I made a starter with wyeast 1968 and I just pulled it out of the fridge and it smells extremely sour. I had it sitting at room temp(about 65) for about 4 days and then stuck it in the fridge for a day. I put a few hop pellets in the starter wort too. Should I just decant the liquid and pitch? After a day in the fridge, it's still cloudy as well. Should I use it or no?

If it is truly sour, it'll sour the rest of the batch. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just probably not what you'd planned.
Some of my absolute favorite beers are soured to a lesser or greater degree.
I'd say pitch - and keep good notes. If you come up with a great recipe, post it on the forum and be a hero! :)

Well I ended up decanting off the liquid and pitching. I pitched it into the second runnings to make a small beer. We'll see how it turns out.

It turned out fine. I haven't tried it yet but I bottled it about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for checkin in

Back