Sour SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was thinking if it was possible (or better yet, a good idea) to sour a SMaSH brew. Normally when I come up with an idea I at least find evidence that someone has done this before. Based off the Google machine results I've seen so far, I can't tel if this is a good idea or not. My original plan was to make this sweeter. From what I understand that would be a good thing. If it's not a good idea, then what should I add? I know it won't be a SMaSH at that point, but if I can't so a SMaSH, then I would like to at least KISS.

Sorry but this makes no sense. You need to explain what you’re wanting to do a little better.. make it sweeter? But you’re souring it? Do you mean by adding lactose? There’s nothing about a SMASH beer that would make it any better or any worse for kettle souring which is what I presume you’re aiming to do.

It's not necessarily a bad idea, it just won't get you far. I know i wouldn't waste the time making a sour with only one type of malt, for example. A lot of "sour" beers are naturally already simple: one hop, low IBU, two malts (pale & wheat). Just like light belgian beers, the yeast (or in this case the souring bugs) are what drives the process.

The whole idea behind brewing wild/sour beers is to produce something complex. SMaSHing the style is counter-intuitive, IMHO.

It's not necessarily a bad idea, it just won't get you far. I know i wouldn't waste the time making a sour with only one type of malt, for example. A lot of "sour" beers are naturally already simple: one hop, low IBU, two malts (pale & wheat). Just like light belgian beers, the yeast (or in this case the souring bugs) are what drives the process.

The whole idea behind brewing wild/sour beers is to produce something complex. SMaSHing the style is counter-intuitive, IMHO.

Unless it’s just a kettle sour, which sounds like it would have to be if the premis is a SMASH, they generally have a decent amount of hops in them.

99% of sours I see have 0 or 1 flavor/aroma hop.
Besides Flanders styles most seem to have 2 or 3 malts.
What am I missing?

I wasn't planning on doing a kettle sour. I want to brew a SMaSH and then sour it with time. I wasn't sure if it's pointless to do a sour SMaSH. Sounds like it could be a waste.

I thought I needed more sweetness based on what I read. It would be for the bugs to have still something to eat. I must have misunderstood what I read.

I have a simple simple Blonde recipe ill just sour.

Last edited:
Sorry but this makes no sense. You need to explain what you’re wanting to do a little better.. make it sweeter? But you’re souring it? Do you mean by adding lactose? There’s nothing about a SMASH beer that would make it any better or any worse for kettle souring which is what I presume you’re aiming to do.
Thanks for the feedback on my question.

If we're in the mode of feedback, you should ask more questions of a poster to understand what they are trying to do instead of being presumptuous.

Latest posts

Back