Sour Mash with WL655

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmCranf

Reaction score
I couldn't find much so I decided to post my experience sour mashing with 655. Yesterday around 5pm I made a starter and pitched 655 at about 90 degrees, kept it in the oven and when temps got low turned on the oven for a minute or two.

Updates to come, let me know if you have used this strain before!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414579868.192584.jpg

This is the starter at about 12 hours, not much funk, smells a lot like an average fermentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Still no funk, a week into the starter. I think the sach was the only thing multiplying. And after some research I think I messed up and wasted a yeast packet. Any help out there for still making a sour? I think I have come to terms with long term aging and dedicating equipment after this fail...

it contains yeasties and beasties in it.....generally a starter isn't recommended for this type of yeast, because all these critters were added in a specific % to get an outcome. By making a starter you are favoring sacc...this mix could take 6 months to a year to finish up....IMHO a starter isn't needed or practical. Pitch what you have and see how it goes....

You made the sacc dominant when you made the starter. The blend will still work, but will take longer to sour, and may be less sour than it would be.

I brewed the old bruin today, pitched my starter. I think I will add some sour dregs in a weekish to help got my blend back even

I brewed the old bruin today, pitched my starter. I think I will add some sour dregs in a weekish to help got my blend back even

In two months buy a 6 gallon better bottle, rubber stopper and S type airlock and brew the same recipe ( or another) using the same bug blend (or another) and let it sit for at least six months before sampling. I brewed a Berliner Weiss using the Sour Mix 1 two months ago and it still isn't sour. I've decided it needs a year or more. Pelicle is just starting to form.

In two months buy a 6 gallon better bottle, rubber stopper and S type airlock and brew the same recipe ( or another) using the same bug blend (or another) and let it sit for at least six months before sampling. I brewed a Berliner Weiss using the Sour Mix 1 two months ago and it still isn't sour. I've decided it needs a year or more. Pelicle is just starting to form.

Thanks for this, I def think blending is in my future, not to mention maintaining my own house sour family now!

Still no funk, a week into the starter. I think the sach was the only thing multiplying. And after some research I think I messed up and wasted a yeast packet. Any help out there for still making a sour? I think I have come to terms with long term aging and dedicating equipment after this fail...

Generally a sour mash is done with the intention of killing off/severely inhibiting everything other than lactobacillus so it is probably not a preferred thing to do with a mixed culture that you want to preserve. While 90F probably won't kill off your Sacch it will stress them out and may lead to some not-ideal flavor production and potential mutation/cellular expression changes. Perhaps you discovered this in your research, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread so I thought I'd throw it in there.

I agree with others on here that growing up a mixed culture will differentially influence the various microbes in there. But using bottle dregs and/or ambient/wild starters would have a similar effect. I think it isn't awful to grow up mixed microbes and I have been happy with the results with my experience doing it. Letting the starter go a bit longer is probably a good call. Because these microbes are active at different parts of the fermentation and can metabolize different compounds, there is some forgiveness in changing the initial cell counts and ratios.

Thanks for all that info, it was my original plan to get a lacto only strain from my lhbs and use that but this was the closest they had at the time. I figured that the lacto would still grow at that temp, just like when people put unmilled grain in a sour mash, but it appears to only have ramped up the sach (kinda like when you turn up the temp on a saison and get those really yeasty notes) I wasn't too concerned with the taste of the starter so I figured it would be okay.

After pitching last night I have a solid krausen coming in! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415141730.819765.jpg

About 10 days later, still fermenting away. I also pitched some fermentable cider (OG 10.50) from a local cidery, in the starter container just because I can, and it is FUNKY.

I won't be tasting for awhile still, despite the urge to; guess I just need to brew more!

Temps? Mine look nothing like yours.

Sitting around 64-72 on average, most the time in 66-70, maybe its the Wicked Weed dregs I tossed in. Any idea what that bacteria is? Its thickened up since I took the photo and there is ton of condensation on the inside.

Sitting around 64-72 on average, most the time in 66-70, maybe its the Wicked Weed dregs I tossed in. Any idea what that bacteria is? Its thickened up since I took the photo and there is ton of condensation on the inside.

I'd guess its the police forming. I just took another gravity reading and it's at 1.005 from October. I JUST got the same thin white layer on mine after sampling. Previously I had a couple white bubbles that were sitting on top. Mine is around 64-68 inside.

Pitched in October. It's been sittin in the mid 60s in the guest room. The section in the middle was from pulling a sample a few weeks ago. 1.008 down from 1.032.

image.jpg

Thats some solid looking funk on top, hopefully mine grow up to look like that! When are you bottling?

Ummmm I was thinking around 8 months but Old Sock said once FG is stable I can bottle. I could keg then use my beer gun too. I'm just waiting for it to get sour.

Tasted mine this weekend, already tart, I'm kinda worried about letting it get too sour at this point, there is no funk however :(

Tasted mine this weekend, already tart, I'm kinda worried about letting it get too sour at this point, there is no funk however :(

I haven't tasted mine in a while. I'm letting it ride and I'm thinking of bottling it next month to use the carboy for another sour or quick turnover Weisse.

Back