Sour dark ale from second runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
Alright planing my brews for a partigyle brew day, I'm brewing the award winning RIS from here as my

1st runnings and was thinking about a sour dark ale for the second runnings. Being that I never had a sour beer before because I can't find any around here figured I would just brew one. So any help direction or tip to brew a great second runnings sour dark ale would be great

Grain bill:

17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 81.93 %

1.50 lb Roasted Barley Grain 7.23 %

1.00 lb Special B Malt Grain 4.82 %

0.75 lb Chocolate Malt Grain 3.61 %

0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 2.41 %

I would not start your venture into sour beers with a sour stout of sorts. it wont be nearly as roasted being the 2nd runnings, but its not easy to make a good one. personally I'd steep the dark grains in the 1st runnings if you wanna partigyle half this into a sour. what do you plan on souring it with?

firstly, I would highly recommend tasting a sour first before you start this, they're not for everyone. you should definitely be able to find monks cafe flanders red around there if you need to find a sour.

i've now done two sour beers made from the second runnings of a stout. first was was rather underwhelming, second one is coming around after a year and a half - but still isn't amazing. those second running can get pretty astringent.

dark roast + sour is a difficult combination to pull off. sounds like you have a plan so go for it, but be aware that you're taking the hard road. for all those months i've waited on my dark sours only to have so-so beers, i wish i had just made a simple pale wort and let the sour bugs shine through, instead of having sour fight for space with the roast/acrid.

of course YMMV, you might come up with an awesome dark sour :mug:

I'll keep thinking it threw might have some guidance from volunteering at a local brewery that is doing sours with bottling with them, got the e-mail last night so if thy bottle before brew day they might be getting some questions lol. Thanks for the words of advice being my first any info is good for me, what I'm trying for is just a crazy funky sour beer lol

Here is a write up on the brewery I might be bottling for:
http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2014/01/introducing-intangible-ales-new-project.html?m=1

That's awesome. Terry is super knowledgable and a really friendly guy as well. Looking forward to trying things from Intangible Ales.

Blog: spontaneousfunk.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brewing

Yea can't wait hope to be one of the selected and for some reason bottling is one of my favorite things to do

Of course you could also add some DME to make a full strength sour brown. It wouldnt be a hard addition and it would add some malt for the bugs.

Back