Sour Berliner Weisse idea forming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home_alone1

Reaction score
So I’ve been experimenting with wild yeast ( brett ) since my 3rd brew and want to get into doing sours . Doing a Berliner Weiss has seemed a bit daunting as I don’t want to mess kettle sours and don’t want to wait 6 months to get a proper mixed fermentation going. It’s my understanding that Sac eats the sugars too fast for the lacto to do much souring. I’ve been experimenting with low abv farmhouse ale that is 50 percent raw wheat and 50 percent pills malt. Starting gravity around 1.023 .

Ive currently got a batch going fermented with 100 percent Brett from imperial yeast and after 2 weeks only had 65 percent of sugars fermented .

It’s my hypothesis that the imperial Brett strain co pitched with lacto planterum should produce a mixed fermentation sour ale in just 1-2 month time frame. Once I get this currant batch of ale in bottles I plan on testing this. Has anyone here done something like this before and what were your results?

It’s my understanding that Sac eats the sugars too fast for the lacto to do much souring.
Nope. Pitch L. plantarum before the yeast, with the yeast, or even a couple days after the yeast. As long as there is still sugar, no hops, and above 65F it will become sour.
Easy peasy!

It's entire possible to have a mixed fermentation (Sacc + Brett + Lacto) ready to bottle in a couple weeks.
Make highly fermentable wort, and then pitch Sacc and a large amount of Brett (from a starter). Add Lacto after a couple days. You can dry hop after it sours, if desired.

Brett without Sacc doesn't get as funky or flavorful as it does when fermented with Sacc. And for some reason it also doesn't live as long.

I'd be happy to answer more questions about this. Cheers

I just finished a keg of 100% Brett Berliner (not boiled) that I fruited with Blackberry puree. It was really good. I used ECY Dirty Dozen on that one. I have used the Imperial strains before too. I use the Goodbelly for LAB and just Co-pitch - Not kettle sour. I add hops via tea or dry hop on the 3rd or 4th day now. If you dont use hops at all it will be sour AF. Personally, I like to keep the souring in check to get a balance on the finished deal.

Berliner is a good base for a Brett fermentation IMO
I would let it ferment a month with a healthy brett pitch.

Back